Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN on US RBR20?

chrisbrummel
Guide

VLAN on US RBR20?

I'm interested in removing my ISP's modem/router and setting up my Orbi RBR20 to directly connect. I attempted this once with no luck, but I've heard that it won't work without setting up VLAN. Searching the forums and the internet, I see that there are Orbis with a "VLAN" section on the sidebar of "Advanced Setup", but I don't see it on mine. 

Is there a way to set up VLAN on my RBR20?

Thanks!

v2.3.5.26

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: VLAN on US RBR20?

There may be some confusion.  Every WiFi router (including Netgear's Orbi) has to connect to a device that converts the internet supplier media (cable, fiber, satellite, etc.) to ethernet.  This can be a modem, a modem/router combiination, or a modem/router/WiFi combination. Usually, that device is supplied by the ISP.  (Some customers find they can purchase their own modem and the monthly savings will pay for the modem in about one year.  Of course, then the customer is totally responsible for the modem.)

So, the ISP's modem/router can be removed, but then you need a replacement modem.  No modem, no internet.

There are numerous posts in the forum about the consequences of having an ISP modem/router/WiFi combination.  The advice is generally, "this is a bad idea", and there are two basic recommendations:

• Place the ISP device into "bridge" or "passthru" mode, which disables the router and WiFi functions, or
  • Place the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode, but still disable the WiFi on the ISP device.

(There is a third choice, which is less desirable.)

So, there must be a modem.

VLAN has nothing to do with this issue.  VLAN on the Orbi is intended to deal with specific situations where the ISP provides TV across the internet and needs a VLAN set up for that.  If this is the case, they always tell the customer how to set it up.

Message 2 of 11
chrisbrummel
Guide

Thanks for the detailed response.

I currently have it set up in your first scenario with the ISP modem in bridge mode, but I'm running into a problem with a device and I've received advice that removing the ISP device could simplify the network and help. I take it that the RBR20 can't act as a modem/router combo, and only as a router.

Thanks!

-Chris

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Netgear made one model of Orbi with a built-in DOCSIS 3.0 modem.  Some users on the forum have it and are happy with it.  I doubt that they sold very many.

The ISP device in bridge mode is the "best it gets" as far as Orbi is concerned.  If you identify the device and the problem, people on the forum have found ways to make almost everything work.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is this device that isn't working? Some ISP supplied devices for TV or media services require the user of the ISP supplied modem/router for use with there streaming service devices. 

The any orbi RBR only works as a router and needs to have a ISP supplied Modem or ONT or some forum ISP supplied services to the WAN side othe RBR router at all times for internet access. 

Can try this option:

Configure the modem back to router mode, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode. See if this helps with the one particular device to connect to the modem for it's services, while the rest of your devices connect to the Orbi system. 

@chrisbrummel wrote:

I'm interested in removing my ISP's modem/router and setting up my Orbi RBR20 to directly connect. I attempted this once with no luck, but I've heard that it won't work without setting up VLAN. Searching the forums and the internet, I see that there are Orbis with a "VLAN" section on the sidebar of "Advanced Setup", but I don't see it on mine. 

Is there a way to set up VLAN on my RBR20?

Thanks!

v2.3.5.26

Message 5 of 11
chrisbrummel
Guide

I have a Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant. It used to support the "hassio.local" URL, but now only works with the IP. Also, it's ability to play nice with HomeKit is very intermittent. Sometimes it works, but often my devices are in a "no response" state, which didn't happen prior to using the Orbi.

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@chrisbrummel wrote:

I have a Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant. It used to support the "hassio.local" URL, but now only works with the IP. Also, it's ability to play nice with HomeKit is very intermittent. Sometimes it works, but often my devices are in a "no response" state, which didn't happen prior to using the Orbi.

I have two Pi's, one running Pi-Hole for ad blocking and the other for "fun".  Both seem happy with Orbi.  I will install Home Assistant and give it a try.  Unfortunately, no "Apple World" here.  In fact, I may have to dig out some gizmos to control with Home Assistant.

Since this is "new to me", what is "hassio.local"?

Message 7 of 11
chrisbrummel
Guide

"hassio.local" is just their friendly dynamic URL. If you don't set a statis IP on the router, that URL will work no matter what the IP is.

…if it's working.

Have fun with HA!

Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@chrisbrummel wrote:

"hassio.local" is just their friendly dynamic URL. If you don't set a statis IP on the router, that URL will work no matter what the IP is.

NOT "having fun" with Home Assistant so far.  In fact, have not even got it installed and running.  I could eventually break down and write an SD card specifically for HA, but (silly me) I thought it would be "no problem" to simply install the software on an existing Pi4.  Anyway....

You may be in a bigger bind than originally thought.  Turns out that "Multicast DNS Protocol" (mDNS) is what resolves the name hassio.local to the IP address.  It is not clear (to me) that Netgear Orbi supports mDNS correctly.  There are several community posts claiming otherwise.  AND... there are a bunch of posts claiming that Orbi has issues with Apple Home Kit.  (Mostly people saying, "I installed xyz brand and it works perfectly.  Have dumped my Orbi.  Never going back." etc. etc.)

I have no Apple Home Kit.  Had never heard of mDNS before today.  What's the "truth"?  I have no idea.

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

@chrisbrummel wrote:

Home Assistant now running on Raspberry Pi4.  (Apparently, "following directions" is not my strong suit.  So sad.)

I can confirm that entering "http://hassio.local:8123" into a web browser does not connect to the Home Assistant control page.  Of course, I am not certain how MY Raspberry Pi knows to respond to an mDNS query, as I loaded this software on top of an existing Raspberry Pi Linux system.

Now that Home Assistant is working, my next step is to find some "devices" to have it control.  First choice will be Halloween lighting (turn on at dusk.  Turn off at 11pm.)  Those "smart plugs" are in a box somewhere eagerly awaiting a chance to be of use.

I will also see if Wireshark can capture and interpret mDNS queries.  Maybe Orbi is working just fine, but my Raspberry Pi isn't.

Sorry that I seem to have wandered far from the original question: "Does VLAN work on the RVR20?"  I believe the correct answer is, "Yes, VLAN works, but is not relevant to the issue at hand.  VLAN is intended to address IPTV service."

Message 10 of 11
chrisbrummel
Guide

🙂 I hope you have an interest in checking out Home Assistant beyond just helping me out, but I appreciate it regardless.

The reason I was asking about VLAN was that I had another friend with a different router who replaced the same ISP mode/router and had to enter VLAN settings to get his to work. I liked the idea of one less machine to worry about, but if I have to have it, then so be it.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7