Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WAN Setup on Orbi RBR50v2

Jonesnow
Aspirant

WAN Setup on Orbi RBR50v2

Hi Folks, I need to set up Create a static WAN IP on my ORBI, i.e 192.168.1.1, Gateway 192.168.1.254 and both DNS as 192.168.1.254 The advanced settings has a WAN setup section but that is for a single IP address, where would I be able to set this up on my Orbi? This relates to a solution I have found I need to implement where I have switched my Orbi to the primary router and my ISP's to an AP off the Orbi https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-with-different-Router/m-p/210... 

Any help massively appreciated!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

All of these settings would go in the Orbi web interface, Basic Tab, Internet menu item.

It would help if you could provide some background about the goal of this endeavor. In particular  That BT article that was referenced explains how a router (Netduma) was attached to the BT Hub and another device (Asus) attached to the Netduma as an access point.  The BT Hub remains in place as the primary router and provides voice service.

Is the BT Hub the ISP device you intend to connect as an access point?

Message 2 of 5
Jonesnow
Aspirant

Apologies, aim is to get the Dect phones that can only connect to the BT router working, I will only have two devices in my setup however, Orbi RBR50 and BT smart hub 2, essentially I want the smart hub to be able to connect to the internet through the Orbi rather than the other way around.
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

My suspicion is that the voice capability is separate from the internet channel and the Orbi will not pass the voice information through to the BT Hub.  i.e. no phone service.

And, if the Orbi is connected to the ISP in place of the BT Hub, that business of setting static IP, DNS, etc. is not valid. That only worked in that other post because the BT Hub was left inplace. Whatever device is connected to the ISP will get a public IP address from the ISP and cannot use a private IP address.

I must be missing something, because I fail to see an advantage of connecting the BT Hub to the Orbi in access point mode. (can a BT Hub even be put into AP mode?)  Devices will not roam between WiFi signals from the two systems.

Message 4 of 5
Jonesnow
Aspirant

I think you are right, I need to have the BT SMarthub as router and Orbi as an AP so back to the drawing board, I am totally positive though that the BT router is limiting throughput to the Orbi as the Orbi has 470MB download when connected to the ONP so I need to dig around to find out whats limiting it in the Smarthub if anyone has any ideas?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7