Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WI FI frequency

Yorkshirepud00
Aspirant

WI FI frequency

HI could some help i am trying to set up my home with wi fi switches and they only work on the 2.3GHz how fo i split the SSID so i can pick this because they dont work on 5GHz 

Thanks advance for any help 

Lee 

Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: WI FI frequency

What is the Mfr and model of these "WiFi switches"? 

There a link to there web site support page?

Orbi doesn't allow to separate the SSID names officially on Orbi. However you can do this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/v2-5-0-38-undoes-SSD-split-is-there-a-fix/m-p/1816546/highligh...

Once you turn OFF The 5Ghz SSID broadcast, you should be able to setup the 2.4Ghz devices on Orbi. 

@Yorkshirepud00 wrote:

HI could some help i am trying to set up my home with wi fi switches and they only work on the 2.3GHz how fo i split the SSID so i can pick this because they dont work on 5GHz 

Thanks advance for any help 

Lee 

Message 2 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

First, make certain that there is actually a problem.  Manufacturers emphasize (in LARGE TYPE) "Requires 2.4G Network.  Does not work on 5G!!!" and people panic.  Well, Orbi (and all of the other modern mesh routers) provide both 2.4G and 5G networks.  So, you have a 2.4G network, just what the device needs.  Chances are that when you go to set up the device, it will discover the Orbi network and be fine.  My five brands of smart plug and several brands of video cameras did.

For those rare instances where the smartphone setup program fails, the simple remedy is to use the Orbi web interface to temporarily stop broadcasting the 5G SSID.  Tell the smartphone to "forget" the Orbi network and then join it again (at 2.4G).  After the device is set up, go back to the web interface and resume broadcasting the 5G SSID.

Message 3 of 19
Yorkshirepud00
Aspirant

Thanks I will give it go tomorrow and let everyone know how i get on.

Message 4 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Please report back with your results.  Many people feel strongly that some devices are impossible to connect without hacking the Orbi.  If your device simply will not connect, I'd like to know what it is.

Message 6 of 19

@CrimpOn wrote:

Please report back with your results. 

I second that. We need real evidence to be able to get this sort of thing sorted put.

Some people have claimed that it is impossible to get some IoT things to work on a mesh network, but as yet no one has come up with a single device that really does refuse all approaches.

Message 7 of 19
Yorkshirepud00
Aspirant

I have tried what you said but it did not work i even checked that the router was on the 2.4 by looking it up on my Laptop do you think it colld be a switch faulty, could i ask you what make you have installed to yours its a light switch i have bought a Sonof

I want to go wireless on all the switchies in the house but just thought i would buy one to see what its all about and how they work,

whats your thoughts  

Message 8 of 19
Yorkshirepud00
Aspirant

Sonoff 3 gang switch, looks a good bit of kit if i can get it working, 

Message 9 of 19

@Yorkshirepud00 wrote:

I have tried what you said but it did not work i even checked that the router was on the 2.4 by looking it up on my Laptop ...

What do you mean by that?

It is not clear from your message that you turned off the 5 GHz SSID broadcast.

Message 10 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

At what point in the setup did it fail?

I'd also like to know which specific "Smart Life" app you are using.  I purchased a Teckin outdoor smart plug that had me install Smart Life, version 3.13.6 by Tuya, Inc.    If I recall correctly (it has been months), this might have been the app that kept warning me "Only support 2.4G", and I just kept pressing "Continue".  It is now outside controlling my Christmas lights.  I did the setup on my Sony smartphone, which was connected to my Orbi at 5G.

The Amazon web page offers some advice:

"WiFi name should only contain letters and numbers. NO special symbol allowed (Like a dash.)"

and

" Any question you are welcome reach us via: 【kkcool-001@outlook.com】, We will solve it immediately until you are 100% satisfied. "

Message 11 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

I wasn't interested in a $60 3-Gang switch, so I purchased a regular Sonof Smart Plug for $15.95  Will arrive on Friday and I'll see what it takes to get it connected.  (Buying random devices is a rather bizzare hobby, but I tell the wife, "It's cheaper than playing golf.")

Message 12 of 19
Yorkshirepud00
Aspirant

Just to update you i have not been able to get mine to connect, have decided to order another switch to see if it is faulty , i nay end up with two i can not connect but will keep .you posted.

Message 13 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

I feel obligated to report on my adventure.  I was not willing to spend $60 on a 3-gang switch, so I purchased one Sonoff smart switch from Amazon.  It arrived today, and I connected it to the Orbi.  It was an hour-long adventure in frustration that was eventually successful.

What worked in the end was disabling the "Broadcast SSID" on the 5G network. Telling my smartphone to "forget" the Orbi, then having the smartphone search for available WiFi, join the Orbi at 2.4G and then proceed to the device setup.

The reason it took (literally) an hour, was that my smartphone seemed to connect at 2.4G and then automatically revert back to 5G.  Same thing happened to a Samsung tablet.  The eWeLink setup then failed over and over again. I was very angry, and saying very bad words (that the kids are not supposed to hear).

I noticed that the Sonoff app (eWeLink) has an option, under all of the prominent options, to connect to a network that has both 2.4G and 5G with the same SSID (Called "Compatible Pairing Mode").  It involves doinr something the little product guide never mentioned.  After holding the power button for 5 seconds to put the switch into pairing mode, I needed to hold the buttom for 5 more seconds to put it into Compatibility Pairing Mode.  The help screen implied that it would "work automatically."  I tried five times and failed each time.  (More bad words.)  Eventually, I looked at the Orbi "Attached Devices" screen and saw that my phone was again connected at 2.4G.  Fired up the eWeLink app, went through the setup process, and it connected!  I can now turn the switch on and off, even though my phone is once again connected at 5G.

So, (a) yes, the mechanism of turning off 5G SSID broadcast did enable me to get this device connected.  (b) The Sonoff claimed to be able to connect to WiFi networks like Orbi which offer both 2.4G and 5G with the same SSID, but I was unable to make it work.  and

(c) I plan to stick with brands that "just work", such as Belkin, Eufy, and TP-Link.  Life is too short to fight a $16 smart switch.

Message 14 of 19
Yorkshirepud00
Aspirant

Thanks for the update its nice to know an not struggleing on my own haha 

i have purchased a letelite bulb that also says 2.4 only and it worked straight away i dont get it 

i will keep trying and lt you know how i get on when the other one comes 

Message 15 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

The situation is pretty well-known now.  For the most part, companies who decide to manufacture Internet of Things (IoT) devices buy the networking component "off the shelf". The WiFi chip and software come as a package.  Some of these packages are programmed intelligently to handle modern mesh networks.  Basically, the tiny device creates a web site with a catchy name (usually their company name plus some random stuff).  Their smartphone app connects to this web site and communicates the WiFi name (SSID) and password.  Then, the device searches for a WiFi network with the SSID and connects.  "Done."

The "stupid" software is just botched in one way or another.  Perhaps it recognizes that the phone is attached to a 5G WiFi network and simply refuses to proceed.  "I won't, and you can't make me.  So there!"  Perhaps the app may tell the IoT device the specific MAC address of the 5G network, which of course the device cannot see because it has only a 2.4G radio.

What I found with the Sonoff plug was the software is "stupid".  It just keeps saying "2.4G.  2.4G" over and over.  The technique of temporarily stopping the Orbi 5G SSID broadcast (on the Advanced WiFi menu), having m phone disconnect from WiFi, then search for and connect again did the trick.  But, I had to verify that my phone was actually connected at 2.4G.  Several times, my phone (and my tablet) "forgot" the Orbi WiFi, but then connected at 5G anyway.  It was at the point when I was holding the Sunoff plug over the trash can that I glanced at the Attached Devices display and saw my phone was connected at 2.4G for sure.

People on the forum want consumes to complain to the manufacturer to get their firmware fixed.  I think this is naive.  There are no programmers at the company.  They just bought a solution and are busy manufacturing thousands of products.  Maybe when they find a new combination 2.4G/5G "off the shelf" solution, they will get new software.  Meanwhile, I do not plan to buy any more Sunoff.

Hope your adventure goes well.

Message 16 of 19

@CrimpOn wrote:

People on the forum want consumes to complain to the manufacturer to get their firmware fixed. 

Which manufacturer do you have in mind? The IoT company or Netgear?

Message 17 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry to be imprecise.  I think people thought it through, they would want the IoT manfacturer to "shape up".  I cannot believe this strange behavior is restricted to Netgear Orbi routers.  There are other mesh systems which do not allow splitting 2.4G and 5G SSID's.

I also realize that frustrated people focus their anger on whatever is close at hand, in this case Netgear.  "I bought this (so it cannot be MY fault), and YOU will  not let it work!!!"   It does not escape my attention that the bulk of the devices "having problems" to not appear to be from manufacturers like Belkin, Wyze, TP-Link, etc.  The flood of "dirt cheap" products from Amazon that appear identical except for the packaging has caused this.

I am relieved that (so far) getting devices to work has not required telnetting into the router and splitting WiFi SSID's.  And, my memory is not great, but I believe that the option to "Disable SSID Broadcast" may not have been present on earlier firmware, so this fascination with splitting SSID's gained a foothold where there was no other method.

Message 18 of 19
Yorkshirepud00
Aspirant

HI All Just an update from me i have now had IT person to split the 5 and 2.4 on my router i now have two log ins , i have still not manged to get the Sonoff switch to work i can only prosume its faulty but all my bulbs are now working great.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7