Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Waiting for connection on RBS50

wdebitewari
Aspirant

Waiting for connection on RBS50

A have a RBR53 set with2x RBS50v2's:

Hardware VersionRBR50
Firmware VersionV2.7.2.104
GUI Language VersionV1.0.0.375
Operation ModeAP

One RBS50 is connected trough wifi and has nog wired connection.
The other RBS50 is also connected by wire (gigabit) (for backhaul reasons) to the same network (just 1 simple home subnet)

Model NameDevice NameCurrent VersionStatusDescription
RouterRBR50RBR50V2.7.2.104No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS50Sat2V2.7.2.104No new firmware version available.
SatelliteRBS50Sat1wiredV2.7.2.104Waiting for connection

But for some reason the wired rbs50 keeps showing "Waiting for connection" in the router WebGUI. (see attachement below)

• I've tried resetting and adding again.
  • I've also compared the config (trough telnet) between the two sattelites, but no difference.
  • Router and both sattelites are update trough their own firmware update page to Firmware Version: V2.7.2.104
  • In the "Attached Devices" tab everything (inclung the backhaul) shows fine.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
vajim
Master

Re: Waiting for connection on RBS50

what are you trying to fix?

the netgear portal is not right and has been for several weeks.

since you do see   "No new firmware version available", I wouldn't worry about it.  Does your network work?

there are numerous reports of problems with V2.7.2.104 so get ready

Message 2 of 13
wdebitewari
Aspirant

Its not about the “no updates”....
I’m referring to the Waiting for connection error
Message 3 of 13
vajim
Master

@wdebitewari wrote:
Its not about the “no updates”....
I’m referring to the Waiting for connection error

but why are you even checking?

Message 4 of 13
wdebitewari
Aspirant

This should not be like this. It should give me correct info and also the possibility to check the firmware version etc.

Message 5 of 13
vajim
Master

@wdebitewari wrote:
This should not be like this. It should give me correct info and also the possibility to check the firmware version etc.

I know and you know that

BUT if your network is working why are you checking?

I've already mentioned that the NG website/server is bogus.  I see the same with connected devices.  No worries on my end for the devices work fine.

Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@wdebitewari wrote:

I can appreciate the intellectual curiosity about "what can be causing this?"

"Waiting for connection" seems ambiguous.  Is the router waiting for a connection to Netgear or to the satellite?

There are two obvious experiments that can be tried:

• Swap the two satellites. Wait for the network to stabilize ("Good") and try again.
    Does the problem follow the satellite or does it now affect the newly "wired" satellite?
  • Dig out a 50 ft ethernet cable (I also have a 100ft.) and connect the 2nd satellite over ethernet temporarily.
    (The family will not be tolerant of ethernet cables running across the house for long.)
    Does the satellite that had no problem before now show the problem?

Like @vajim , I am not a big fan of Netgear's firmware update mechanism and lack of transparency. For example, I am annoyed when the Firmware Update status is "Downloading firmware", which then turns to "No new firmware".  Some programmer thinks "Downloading" is synonymous with  "Looking to see if there is new". - NOT)

There are a lot of mysterious issues with Orbi routers that can be resolved only by doing a complete Factory Reset and reload the entire configuration from scratch.  I have to be seriously annoyed and have two solid hours of uninterrupted time to attempt such a task. (Which explains why I have done it only once in the past six months.)

Message 7 of 13
wdebitewari
Aspirant

Thanks for understanding 😉
Message 8 of 13
vajim
Master

I may add that one thing that did work for a day or so for me was to reboot everything, modem, router and sats.  Once they settled down I checked the orbi login and all devices were showing as they should.  The next day it was back to being wrong.  I stopped checking.

Message 9 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, I am waiting for the shoe to drop on my "not-clean" Factory Reset.  (I restored a saved configuration rather than input everything by hand.)  Only a little over one day, and all devices still showing correctly.  If devices disappear, I will need to have major time to fill with no one in the house before I will print off all those setup pages and do a clean reset.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the one wired SAT synce wirelessly, then check and see. 

Is the RBS directly wired to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? 

@wdebitewari wrote:

Hardware VersionRBR50
Operation ModeAP

The other RBS50 is also connected by wire (gigabit) (for backhaul reasons) to the same network (just 1 simple home subnet)

But for some reason the wired rbs50 keeps showing "Waiting for connection" in the router WebGUI. (see attachement below)

• I've also compared the config (trough telnet) between the two sattelites, but no difference.
  • Router and both sattelites are update trough their own firmware update page to Firmware Version: V2.7.2.104

Message 11 of 13
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try the one wired SAT synce wirelessly, then check and see. 

Is the RBS directly wired to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch in between? 

all of this and more has been tried.   The site has been screwed up for weeks 

@wdebitewari wrote:

Hardware VersionRBR50
Operation ModeAP

Message 12 of 13
cgritton
Aspirant

I just had the same issue.  What worked for me is to hit the Check button again.  Each time I did that, the status updated slightly and eventually got to the point where either (1) I got the link to the new firmware to download or (after I had updated) (2) I got the updated version number reporting in the column to the left.  

It's a workaround we shouldn't have to use but it works and for me that's enough.  Hopefully it works for others too.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7