Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What are the most efficient settings for me to use?

Cmo1
Apprentice

What are the most efficient settings for me to use?

I have recently purchased an orbi to replace my apple airport extreme that I was using due to the fact I needed an extended network in my home after adding a Ring 2 doorbell.  I had an airport extreme paired with a netgear router I was using as an extender previously.  So far the Orbi seems stable but the connection speeds vary greatly day to day and hour to hour.  I have about 20 connected devices including a couple apple tvs, macbooks, wink smart hub.  right now I have an SB8600 modem with comcast gigabirt service that performs at 960/45 wired.  When wireless I generally get anytwhere from 400-600 on download side.  I understand that due to the nature of wireless I'll never see the 960 wirelessly.  My house also is over a hundred years old so I have horsehair plaster and other obstacles that can block the signal.  Currently I have the router installed in my living room and then run a cat 7 network cable about 35 ft upstairs into my bedroom for the wired backhaul.  I have a 3rd satellite, but the house itserlf is only about 1700 square feet, so I was afraid of having signals too close together.  My question is this:  Could I install the third access point satellite say in my garage or breezeway wirelessly and not hurt the overall performance.  I currently run the 2.4ghz band at 50% power set to short preamble and 5ghz band at 100% power short perewamble.  I haven't changed the cts/rts threshold.  I also have mimo, daisy chain and beam forming enabled.  I did not enable fast roamingh because I read in a small space it may cause performace to suffer.  Also, what would be the optimal settings for this environment?  I have disabled all firewall functions on the device as well.  I am running on newest 2.1.4.10 firmware model numbers are rbr50 and rbs50 of the satellites.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: What are the most efficient settings for me to use?

I would try using manual channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

Firewall features should be enabled for safety and security. 

You can disable Daisy Chain and MIMO. Leaving Beamforming enabled. 

Besure to not enable the onboard speedtest app, Traffic Meter or Access Controls as this will reduce the 1Gb speed service. 

If you notice issues with 2.4Ghz at the lower power level, i would turn it back up to 100%. 

Yes starting detance should be 30feet between router and satellite(s). 

I have the Orbi router and 1 satellite in a 5000sq ft home and works well at 40 feet in between. 

Message 2 of 6
Cmo1
Apprentice

Should I change rts/cts threshold or doesbn't that matter at all?  I have definitely avoided the speedtest, access controls as well..told that would be bad

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would try using manual channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

Firewall features should be enabled for safety and security. 

You can disable Daisy Chain and MIMO. Leaving Beamforming enabled. 

If you notice issues with 2.4Ghz at the lower power level, i would turn it back up to 100%. 

Yes starting detance should be 30feet between router and satellite(s). 

I have the Orbi router and 1 satellite in a 5000sq ft home and works well at 40 feet in between. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Those don't need any change. Unless your having wifi connections issues with client device, id leave them as default. 

Message 4 of 6
Cmo1
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Those don't need any change. Unless your having wifi connections issues with client device, id leave them as default. 

Also....ipv6 is disabled by default.  leave it disabled?  I have no need for it that I know of.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Unless you have native IPv6 support from your ISP, leave it disabled.

@Cmo1 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Also....ipv6 is disabled by default.  leave it disabled?  I have no need for it that I know of.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7