Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What are the parameters for automatic firmware update?

rhester72
Virtuoso

What are the parameters for automatic firmware update?

What, exactly, are the parameters for which a router and/or satellite will auto-update?

I know the initial firmware release had a bug that prevented it from working, but I can honestly say I've never once had either device automatically update on its own (a la Google OnHub and Eero).  I've waited up to 3 days after a formal release with no automatic updates at all (though both devices will readily update from the web UI after detecting a new version has been released, so I know that part is working).

Just wasn't sure what the thresholds were in terms of days after release, whether the router and satellite want to auto-update at the same time or separately, how each determines the best time of day to do it (based on clock?  utilization patterns?  something else?), etc.

Rodney

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
MarkC1024
Luminary

I don't believe it will automatically apply the update without you telling it to.  What it will do is look for the updates and inform you they are ready to be installed.  It's not a good idea to have this type of work done unless you are ready to do so and not needing your network for a few minutes.  Just look in the Advanced tab under Administration.

Message 2 of 4
loomis1975
Luminary

I've never had it auto update without me telling it to from the admin tab.  I don't think it is supposed to.

Message 3 of 4

i believe rebooting the orbi would initilize the auto update 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7