Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What router works best with RBR20

PW22313
Aspirant

What router works best with RBR20

What router works best with the Orbi RBR20? I have an older Arris SB6141 which is an 8x4 DOCSIS3.0. I am only paying for 100MB with my ISP (Charter/Spectrum) but I am getting about 200MB during speed tests. However, I do get some intermittent disconnects that appear to be at the modem since my ISP confirmed the line to the modem is good. They also confirmed the lines out from the modem to the Orbi is good because I also have a VOIP router connected to the same modem that will also go offline at the same time as the Orbi during these intermittent disconnects. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Didn't mean to offend.  Was going off of "What router works best".  (I am terribly literal.)

From a brief Google search of "Spectrum downstream channels", it appears that that Spectrum's higher speed service uses 32 channels.

Here's a sample discussion that popped up: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32464678-HSI-Channel-Bonding-Configuration 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@PW22313 wrote:

What router works best with the Orbi RBR20? I have an older Arris SB6141 which is an 8x4 DOCSIS3.0. I am only paying for 100MB with my ISP (Charter/Spectrum)

The list of "approved" modems for Spectrum is here:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter-network/ 

Just to be clear: you want a "modem", not a "router/modem".  Personally, I would get a DOCSUS 3.1 modem as a means of "future proofing" for when they offer higher speeds.

That web site mentions that customers who have an ISP modem that is six years old can return it for a new modem.  Is this modem yours or theirs?

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. I have not seen any comment that one brand of modem works better with Orbi than another.  They are "DOCSIS certified", which may some guarantee of inter-operability.

Message 3 of 6
PW22313
Aspirant

It is my modem, not a lease. I save $60 a year by not leasing... I understand I only need a modem and not a combo modem/router given I have an Orbi. I have had my modem for a few years and they had been on the market for several years prior to that. I want to future-proof. So a 3.1 that is on the approved list would be recommended? Is the channels something to consider? 16, 32, etc... Thanks

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Didn't mean to offend.  Was going off of "What router works best".  (I am terribly literal.)

From a brief Google search of "Spectrum downstream channels", it appears that that Spectrum's higher speed service uses 32 channels.

Here's a sample discussion that popped up: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32464678-HSI-Channel-Bonding-Configuration 

Message 5 of 6
PW22313
Aspirant

Please, no offense taken. I obviously answer literal as well. I completely understand the purpose of note about not needing the combo. Thanks for the responses. I will look into the options. I appreciate the information.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7