Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

When PC is off, ethernet ports on Orbi RBR50 don't work

kciociola
Aspirant

When PC is off, ethernet ports on Orbi RBR50 don't work

I have a (1) Lenovo Windows PC (connected to ethernet via a docking station) and (2) ethernet hub connected to separate ports on the back of an Orbi RBR50. The third port is unused.

Whenever the PC is off (it periodically turns off when completing automatic updates), all of the ethernet ports on the router don't seem to work. This means that the hub, which serves my NAS, WiFi security cameras and home automation system don't work either.

I have no idea where to begin to even troubleshoot this. It doesn't make sense to me that a single device connected to an ethernet port on the router could be responsible for affecting the connection of the other ethernet ports on the router.

Any clues as to where I should start my search? Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: When PC is off, ethernet ports on Orbi RBR50 don't work

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What are these "hubs" connected in back? 

What CAT# LAN cable are you using between devices?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Disconnect everything accept for one wired PC. Then graduate adding a device and test the ports. 

Message 2 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello kciociola,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are using a dock for your Lenovo laptop. Please try removing your Orbi router from your network and attempting to connect directly to your ISP router's ethernet port. If this does not work then it could be the docking station or the ethernet cable that connects your laptop docking station to your Orbi's ethernet port.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Would like to know the specific model of Lenovo laptop and docking station.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 7
kciociola
Aspirant

Orbi firmware: 2.7.4.24

Modem: Arris TM1602A

Hub: Netgear GS305v3

Everything is connected with CAT5

First thing I did was to check the firmware of the router to make sure there were no updates.

I haven't done the power cycling routine since any updates, but this is a problem that predates any LAN hardware updates—in fact, I think this is a "Day One" issue with the Orbi. The PC is rarely off, but when it does turn off, I lose connectivity to the hub.

I'll find time to follow your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for the tip!

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Disconnect the GS-305 swtich then connect everything to the RBR.

I would upgrade the cables to CAT6. CAT5 is only officially supporting of 100Mpbs, not 1000Mpbs. 

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Reminds me to the interesting issue where certain Multi-port hubs with Ethernet LAN ports knock-out Orbi RBR50 ports (and complete networks) by Ethernet Pause Frames coming from certain multi-port devices. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/Spanning-Tree-problem-with-Orbi-RBR50...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7