Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Which Orbi Mesh Router will separate 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz with RBS20's

tsparks62
Aspirant

Which Orbi Mesh Router will separate 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz with RBS20's

I currently have a RBR40 with 2 RBS20's.  It's been a nightmare setting up camera's, doorbells, light switches because the RBR40 will not separate between 2.4 & 5Ghz.  I've had to remove the RBS20's to only allow the RBR40 so it's a ways away and will run on the 2.4 Ghz..

With that being said are there any other Orbi Mesh Routers that will work with my RBW20's that will separate the 2.4Ghz from the 5Ghz?

We're getting ready to sell the house and I really don't want to buy a whole new system until we move... Just need a quick fix, and going up & down stairs after a double knee replacement is feasible right now.  But I need to get the light switches reconnected now.

Can someone please help.

Thanks

Terry

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi systems do NOT support separation of SSID. 

This is mostly bad programming on the IoT mfrs part. They fail to realize or implement having there setup software work on both frequencies as 2.4 AND 5Ghz are on the SAME network. So if a setup mobile device is on 5Ghz and IoT connects at 2.4Ghz, there setup software fails to realize that the frequencies are on the same network and can communicate between. Something the IoT mfrs fails to implement. 

So you might want to also change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. Turn OFF the RBS as well. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@tsparks62 wrote:

I currently have a RBR40 with 2 RBS20's.  It's been a nightmare setting up camera's, doorbells, light switches because the RBR40 will not separate between 2.4 & 5Ghz.

Although I have the RBR50 model, I believe the RBR40 has essentially the same capabilities.  I have never had to create different SSID to set up cameras, smart plugs, etc.

• Cameras almost always get setup by creating a QR code using the smartphone app and showing it to the camera.
  • Smart plugs and switches do indeed vary based on the quality of the smartphone app.  If you can identify the brand of doorbell and smart switch, that would help.

The original Orbi (i.e. RBR50, RBR40, RBR20) has a feature to "Disable Broadcast of SSID" on either the 2.4G or the 5G channel.  This is found on the web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings menu.  The process takes longer to describe than to accomplish:

• Using the Orbi web interface, disable SSID broadcast of the 5G channel.
    (This takes about 2 minutes for the radios to change over.)
    This does not disconnect any devices which are currently connected with 5G.
  • On the smartphone running the Orbi app, "forget" the Orbi SSID.
  • Then select the Orbi SSID from the list of available systems, enter the password, and connect.
  • Now open the smartphone app for the device and perform the setup process.
  • Once the device is working on the network, reverse the process:
  • Enable SSID broadcast on 5G.
  • On the smartphone, "forget" and reconnect.
  • Done.

Message 3 of 6
tsparks62
Aspirant

Unfortunately the RBR40 doesn't have the "Disable Broadcast of SSID". I've looked where you have suggested, unless someone else knows if it might be listed somewhere else.  If the RBR50 has that option and will work with the RBS20's I might just buy a new Router.. thanks

Message 4 of 6
tsparks62
Aspirant

I saw that in an earlier post but I can't figure out where to "change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%", can you lead me in the right direction/page it might be on?  thanks

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@tsparks62 wrote:

Unfortunately the RBR40 doesn't have the "Disable Broadcast of SSID". I've looked where you have suggested, unless someone else knows if it might be listed somewhere else.  If the RBR50 has that option and will work with the RBS20's I might just buy a new Router.. thanks

I just checked my RBR50. The red arrow points to the option to Enable/Disable broadcasting SSID.

CrimpOn_0-1658098526303.png

Netgear did not provide this option on the newer AX product lines.  Disappointing that your RBR40 does not have it.

Yes, RBS20 satellites integrate with the RBR50 router.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7