Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Which satellites are compatible with the Orbi RBR20?

RVANewbie
Aspirant

Which satellites are compatible with the Orbi RBR20?

I just installed the RBR20 with one satellite, after MUCH trouble -- but I think it's all set now.  Questions:

1. Which satellites are compatible with the RBR20?  I'm frustrated with the Netgear website's lack of documentation in this regard.
  2. What's the difference between the RBS20 and the RBS50? 
  3. Is there a RBR20-compatible satellite with better features?

Thanks for any help -

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Which satellites are compatible with the Orbi RBR20?

Every Orbi satellite is compatable with every Orbi router.  Wall plug, outdoor, it doesn't matter as long as they are the "residential" model (not Orbi Pro or the new AX model).

The difference between the "20" series and the "50" series can be seen on their product data sheets:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK50.pdf 

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK23.pdf 

It's pretty obvious that the "50" series has (4) ethernet LAN ports, whereas the "20" series has two.

The RBS50 has (6) internal antennas, whereas the RBS20 has (4) internal antennas.  That is, the RBS20 "backhaul" signal uses the same 5G radio and antenna as the "user" 5G network.

The RBS50 has a maximum backhaul speed (if connected to an RBR50 router) of 1,733mb whereas the RBS20 has a maximum backhaul speed of 866mb.

As far as "features", they are the same.  Satellites do what satellites do.  The "50" satellite is "more better" IF you need more ethernet ports or IF it is connected to a "50" router.  Connected to the existing RBR20, the backhaul speed difference disappears, the extra antennas are not significant, and the only difference is those two extra ethernet ports.

Don't know if this is what you are looking for.

Message 2 of 3
RVANewbie
Aspirant

Re: Which satellites are compatible with the Orbi RBR20?

Thanks so much -- yes, very helpful.  You communicated a lot of useful information in a relatively small space.  I think it would be very helpful if Orbi were to post this information somewhere on its website where customers could easily see it.

Thanks again --

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7