Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wi-Fi speed

Magoo150
Aspirant

Wi-Fi speed

I have the RBK50 and here recently my Wi-Fi speed is only topping out at 304 mbps. Before I could get 500 to 700 mbps connection to the router. I use the app Wi-Fi SweetSpots to see connection speed. The Orbi app says I’m at a 866 mbps connection rate but I’m not seeing it. I’m testing speed right next to the Orbi. Has anyone else have this problem?
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I have no personal experience with the SweetSpots app.  From what I see with an internet search of "WiFi SweetSpots app", it appears that this app sends UDP "discard" packets to the gateway, which is the Orbi if it is in "router" mode or the router the Orbi is connected to if the Orbi is in Access Point (AP) mode.  How the app calculates "speed" by doing that, I have no idea.

SweetSpots certainly should be affected by WiFi overhead and by any other use of WiFi by (a) the iPhone itself, and (b) other devices on the same WiFi channel.  Orbi uses one 5G WiFi channel to communicate with every 5G device.  If one of them starts streaming video while the SweetSpots test is going on, then the reported speed should be less.

The "Link Rate" displayed by the Orbi app is a description of theoretical speed, which does not take things like WiFi overhead and device capability into account.

SweetSpots looks like an interesting alternative to typical "internet speed apps" which test the entire path between device and a remote server.  It appears to be directed at the question: "which parts of my house get better WiFi signal than other parts?"

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Wifi Sweet Spots only gives link rate between the client device and the host wifi router. It's kind of handy if your wifi router doesn't show or have support or link rates with mobile devices. 

@Magoo150 Have you disabled the wifi radio on the mobile device then when you are near either RBR or RBS, turn ON the wifi and let it connect, then test the link rate with wifi sweet spots app? 

Message 3 of 5
Magoo150
Aspirant

It still tops out at 304 mbps, and that right next to the satellite. I use Wi-Fi SweetSpots to find any dead zones in my house. Everything was fine and dandy until I enabled NETGEAR Armor. The link rate is half what it used to be. I appreciate the help hopefully I can figure this out soon.
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Armor has been know to cause problems. I recommend that you factory reset the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. This time do not enable any Armor or Circle apps. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7