Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi Slow after 2-3 days until reboot?

orbcad
Guide

I am on 2.7.3.22 and experiencing the slow down after 2-3 days that can only be resolved by rebooting the Orbi.

At one point I was positive that *.22 introduced the problem because I never noticed this before. I am still rebooting at least twice a week now several months later. Very disappointed because it was working fine for a very long time and the only thing that changed was the firmware.

Message 151 of 158
fmalloy
Luminary

@orbcad wrote:

I am on 2.7.3.22 and experiencing the slow down after 2-3 days that can only be resolved by rebooting the Orbi.

At one point I was positive that *.22 introduced the problem because I never noticed this before. I am still rebooting at least twice a week now several months later. Very disappointed because it was working fine for a very long time and the only thing that changed was the firmware.

As I have written several times - this happened to me and was caused by a wireless device (NETGEAR dongle on a satellte STB) on the network. I reconfigured it and the problem disappeared.

Please check every wireless device - reboot, reconfigure, log out/back in, etc. You may have to take each device off the network one by one until you find the one causing the problem.

An issue with a wireless device should not take down the router's speed like that, but this is what fixed it for me. Haven't rebooted in months.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 152 of 158
orbcad
Guide

Appreciate the response but with having over 70 wireless devices (all of which haven't changed in years) it could take over 200 days to troubleshoot this (adding a device, waiting 3 days to see if it slows down and repeat) and possibly not even resolve the issue after I get through them all. As I said, it was fine before the last update. The only thing I can do now is wait for another update hoping it will fix the issue or keep rebooting every 3 days. 

The trial an error approach would be fine if I had less than 15 devices or so.

Message 153 of 158
ztztzt8888
Aspirant

I am on the same boat. It's just cost too much for finding the culprit. Technecally I can have seperate devices into two groups each round and make it into a binary search problem. But even with the logrithmic approach, the impracticality is apparent. I just can't afford some of the devices go off line. Besides the problem only appeared after recent firmware upgrad. It's a bug burried somewhere that got triggered with our setup. But the setup itself should not take the blame because I haven't change the setup of hardward and it's bean working fine for about two years now, until I upgrade the firmware to v2.7.3.22. 

Message 154 of 158
eehirsch
Guide

I have used the admin tools in the router to block all devices except my laptop or another single device, waited several days, and the problem still recurred. Best solution I have found remains a smart plug set to turn off and on every day at about 4am. Really shocking this is still an issue.
Message 155 of 158
ztztzt8888
Aspirant

@eehirsch wrote:
I have used the admin tools in the router to block all devices except my laptop or another single device, waited several days, and the problem still recurred. Best solution I have found remains a smart plug set to turn off and on every day at about 4am. Really shocking this is still an issue.

Good idea. I am going to do the same for now. I was suspicious about whether my ancient TP-Link smart plug would work without wifi after it shuts the router down. To my suprise it does work. Interesting!

Message 156 of 158
eehirsch
Guide

Hahah...yep, I was surprised too. I use the ones from Kasa and they appear to store schedules locally in the plug, which is fantastic for this kind of thing. Totally solved my problem but still irks me. We have a satellite in our bedroom and I had to put a sock on it because the flashing purple light at 4am was waking my wife up due to the reboot. C'est la vie!
Message 157 of 158
ztztzt8888
Aspirant

@eehirsch wrote:
Hahah...yep, I was surprised too. I use the ones from Kasa and they appear to store schedules locally in the plug, which is fantastic for this kind of thing. Totally solved my problem but still irks me. We have a satellite in our bedroom and I had to put a sock on it because the flashing purple light at 4am was waking my wife up due to the reboot. C'est la vie!

Exactly the same setup!

Message 158 of 158
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7