Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

'Wide spread' WIFI Router Crashes

Mayhugh1
Apprentice

'Wide spread' WIFI Router Crashes

Here is some interesting reading on another forum whose members are as frustrated as many on this one. Scroll down and read the comments from the weary Linksys moderator (Lucus)

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT32x-and-WRT3200ACM-WiFi-Issues/m-p/1257249

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: 'Wide spread' WIFI Router Crashes

That sounds very familiar - some people complaining bitterly, others having no issues. Moderator claims it's environmental issues and I am sure it is. I would still be worried and I think it's a huge gaping security issue that a client device can actually crash a switch or router in less than a second of doing something. Considering that google engineers are now looking into this I am more hopeful that they will find the cause and provide a solution to the router manufacturers very soon.

Message 2 of 4
Mayhugh1
Apprentice

It almost sounds like some vulnerability being exploited in recent generation WIFI chipsets by malware  in some some connected infected device.

Message 3 of 4
Mayhugh1
Apprentice

Linksys thinks they've found a solution to the stability issues that customers have been experiencing with their latest generation router during the past few months. They're issuing new firmware right now. It sounds like the root cause may have been a combination of buggy chipset drivers that were lit up by the Android update. You can read the chatter by scrolling down through the last couple pages of the URL I posted above. Hopefully Netgear's fix isn't far behind, but it sounds the Orbi has a few additional issues of its own.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7