Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi Mesh Network for large home property

lakelivingmom
Aspirant

Wifi Mesh Network for large home property

We have a relatively large property with a main house (3500 ft^2), a small guest cottage (900 ft^2) about 300' from the main house, and a dock / entertainment area down down by the water about 250' from the house. We would like to be able to access wifi at all three locations. Right now we have our wifi with a range extender in the house which is horrible and doesn't work very well so we have dead spots all over the place. So looking into mesh options which seem to be the way to go. We are thinking about getting an Orbi system for the house, then running a cable to the dock area and a second cable to the cottage. But what would I put down at the dock and cottage. Can I use another Orbi there at each location? I can see how tghe Orbi's work within the house but not sure if I can wire them down to anotehr set of Orbi's at the second and third location or if I should be looking at a different product for the dock area and guest cottage.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

AP= wireless Acess Point or WAP

Well you can install a 5 port Gb LAN switch at the remote locations for flexibility with wired devices. Leaving 1 port to a LAN to LAN connection to a WAP for wireless services.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You would need to run buried CAT6 ethernet cable to remote locations with a dedicated AP at each location for best performances. Those distances are a bit too far for any MESH system.

Message 2 of 6
lakelivingmom
Aspirant

Thanks. We will definitely be running wire (Cat6 cable) to the out buildings. Just wondering what we would need to put in at each place to recieve the wire. Excuse my ignore but what is an AP? 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

AP= wireless Acess Point or WAP

Well you can install a 5 port Gb LAN switch at the remote locations for flexibility with wired devices. Leaving 1 port to a LAN to LAN connection to a WAP for wireless services.

Message 4 of 6
lakelivingmom
Aspirant

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good luck.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors