× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Wifi Network

MrMcMann
Follower

Wifi Network

Hi, I have the AC1600 Wifi cable modem and router and have some deadspots in my home and would like to create a mesh network with the new orbi. My question is do i have to purchase a complete system with modem and router for the orbi? Or can I purchase one orbi and use my exisiting modem/router? would they be compatible?, and if so how do i do that without having to hardwire anything. I would rather it be a wireless mesh network rather than create a hardwire access point.

Model: C6250|AC1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: Wifi Network


@MrMcMann wrote:

My question is do i have to purchase a complete system with modem and router for the orbi?

 


You should be able to add an Orbi system to your existing network. I did.

 

But it may need some tweaking. For example, you will probably want to ensure that you have just one router on the network. So turn off the router bit of the modem, or use the Orbi as a wireless access point.

 

But this may be the killer bit:

 


@MrMcMann wrote:

I would rather it be a wireless mesh network rather than create a hardwire access point.

 


 

I see no indication that Orbo supports WDS, so it will not work as a repeater.

 

In my case the Orbi is set up as a wireless access point, but it sits at the end of a Powerline ethernet network.

 

 

 

 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wifi Network

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.


@MrMcMann wrote:

Hi, I have the AC1600 Wifi cable modem and router and have some deadspots in my home and would like to create a mesh network with the new orbi. My question is do i have to purchase a complete system with modem and router for the orbi? Or can I purchase one orbi and use my exisiting modem/router? would they be compatible?, and if so how do i do that without having to hardwire anything. I would rather it be a wireless mesh network rather than create a hardwire access point.




Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1044 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series