Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi keeps dropping on RBR50

LateAdopter
Aspirant

Wifi keeps dropping on RBR50

I have and RBR50 and 4 satellites (RBS50).  I have had them for 2-3 years and they have the latest firmware.  They were working fine but over the last few weeks have been dropping daily requiring me to reboot the RBR50.

I can't seem to access the Orbilogin.net to look at the settings and have done a factory reset which made no difference.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you sure the modem is bridged? Mighy check it's configuration. 

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Try this alternative, configure the modem back to router mode. Disable ALL wifi radios on the modem. Configure the RBR for AP mode. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@LateAdopter wrote:

I am not sure if it is anything to do with turning off daisy chain (don't think so) but now the internet is not working at all on the router (although it is on the ISP hub if I connect via LAN).  This means wifi not working at all in the house at the moment

We have a meltdown situation which is causing me severe stress at the moment!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
Streak2
Master

Silly question but when you try to access Orbilogin.net are you sure that your wifi is connected to your Orbi system?

Can you try accessing the router settings by connecting a computer directly to the router using an ethernet cable?

Once connected then make sure that all devices have the lates firmware not just the router.

Message 2 of 14
LateAdopter
Aspirant

Brilliant, thanks.  My computer was actually connected via LAN cable to the ISP's router (to which the Orbi is connected) so I changed it to wired to the Orbi and can now access the portal.  That is the second problem solved.

the first problem was working out why the wifi keeps dropping - i am having to do a reset every day.  Any ideas?

Message 3 of 14
Streak2
Master

Satellites and router on the same version of firmware?

When you say the wifi is dropping is this only on one device? What about wired devices?

Is the problem only when connected to one of the satellites or all of them?

What's the backhaul status like and is it 2.4 or 5Ghz?

Star or daisychain topology?

Message 4 of 14
LateAdopter
Aspirant

They are all on the same firmware, which is the latest version - v2.7.3.22

as for dropping, the wired devices are fine.  It seems to be two of the satellites in particular which i have had complaints about from the family, but it could be all of them.

I have found in the advanced settings that Daisy-Chain topology is enabled.

I am afraid i am not very techy so can't  out what the backhaul status is or whether it is 2.4 or 5 ghz.  where would i find that?

Message 5 of 14
Streak2
Master

On the orbilogin page select Attached Devices and it will shows you a screen with the satellites at the top with a column showing connection type and backhaul status.

If your router is centraly located with the satellites scaettred around it then disbale daisy chain.

In my case the router is one end of the house with the satellites strung out from there so I have daisy chain enabled.

Message 6 of 14
LateAdopter
Aspirant

OK, the backhaul status is currently showing as Good.  After I reset each of the devices yesterday, two of them were only fair, but today they are showing Good.  The connection type is 5G or wirded, but i am not sure if that is the connection speed for backhaul.

My router is at the front corner of the house as that is where the cable come in and it is linked directly to the ISP hub/router.  I therefore don't think it is worth trying to turn off daisy chain is there?

I think one of the reasons i have needed 4 sattellites is the house (5 bedrooms over 3 floors) is that the house has had a lot of work on it over the years and there are a lot of RSJs which i think interfered with the singals.  i initially bought a pack of one router and two satellites and added the other two incrementally to deal with signal issues.  Perhpas that is not the best thing to do and i need another solution to my wifi issues?

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? What mode is the modem working in? Router or Bridged? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

If your RBS are in star formation from the RBR, the daisy chain should be disabled. If you have them all out in a line from the RBR, then Diasy Chain can be enabled.

You might reduce the number of RBS you have online by 1 or 2 to see if the system will stablize as well. 

Do you have RBS that are ethernet connected to the RBR? If so, are the directly connected to the RBR or is there a LAN switch or patch panel in the mix? 

@LateAdopter wrote:

OK, the backhaul status is currently showing as Good.  After I reset each of the devices yesterday, two of them were only fair, but today they are showing Good.  The connection type is 5G or wirded, but i am not sure if that is the connection speed for backhaul.

My router is at the front corner of the house as that is where the cable come in and it is linked directly to the ISP hub/router.  I therefore don't think it is worth trying to turn off daisy chain is there?

I think one of the reasons i have needed 4 sattellites is the house (5 bedrooms over 3 floors) is that the house has had a lot of work on it over the years and there are a lot of RSJs which i think interfered with the singals.  i initially bought a pack of one router and two satellites and added the other two incrementally to deal with signal issues.  Perhpas that is not the best thing to do and i need another solution to my wifi issues?

Message 8 of 14
LateAdopter
Aspirant

Hi

Virginmedia is the ISP and the router is manufactured by Arris - Hub 3.0 VMDg505/TG2492LG-VM.  It is working in Bridge mode - this was changed when i had inital problems

Not sure exact size of home but prob 4,000-4500 sq ft..  I would guess that the two nearest sattelites are approx 30 ft from the router

Not sure what you mean by star formation.  They are certainly not in a line as the downstairs ones are in two different directions from the router and one is upstairs.  as they are certainly not in a line, I will try to diable daisy chain topology

one RBS is connected by ethernet to the RBR.  There is no switch, it is simply plugged into a socket that links directly to a socket by the router (there are 6 such sockets, each going to a nother locaton in the house)

I will try disabling daisy chain, then if that doesn't work will try to turn off one of the satelites

thanks for your thoughts

Message 9 of 14
dorqus
Guide

I have a RBR50, two RBS50 satellites and a RBS20 satellite.  Had TONS of issues with the 2.7.3.22 firmware it was driving me nuts and I couldn't work from home reliably.

I downgraded to 2.7.2.104 and have had zero issues since. 

I am a network security engineer and know how to configure a home grade WiFi system, please don't tell me to reset to defaults, blah blah blah.

Once you downgrade a device, quickly enable telnet, telnet into the device and remove the /usr/sbin/fw-upgrade file - that's the file used to automatically upgrade the device back to the latest version.

How do this I'll leave as an exercise to the reader.  If you want to get it back, just power cycle the router/satellite and it will get re-created.

Trust me, it's worth it.  Since doing this I've had zero issues with WiFi stability.  Netgear just released an unstable firmware and can't be bothered to fix it/do anything about it.  Wait for the next version, maybe that will fix the unstable WiFi issue!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 10 of 14
LateAdopter
Aspirant

I am not sure if it is anything to do with turning off daisy chain (don't think so) but now the internet is not working at all on the router (although it is on the ISP hub if I connect via LAN).  This means wifi not working at all in the house at the moment

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you sure the modem is bridged? Mighy check it's configuration. 

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Try this alternative, configure the modem back to router mode. Disable ALL wifi radios on the modem. Configure the RBR for AP mode. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@LateAdopter wrote:

Message 12 of 14
LateAdopter
Aspirant

It turns out that the router was NOT set to bridge mode. Thanks for recommendaing i check again. I am sure it had been in the past, so perhaps it reset on an update.  Once i sorted that, I reset the system and it is now working well

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7