Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi speeds below 20 mbps on RBR50

thejs
Aspirant

Wifi speeds below 20 mbps on RBR50

I have had the Orbi router since September 2017. It never once failed me, until 3 days ago I started noticing slow internet speeds. I assumed it was my ISP, so I connect my laptop to the modem using an Ethernet cable and the speeds were exactly what I am used to. I started researching online and people were saying that it might be the beta firmware that was released, the suggestions were to downgrade and do a factor reset. I downgraded from 2.1.3.4 to 2.1.2.18 and did a factory reset, setup everything from scratch not using a backup file, I still had the same issue. I thought I would test the router speed if I use an Ethernet cable, so I plugged my laptop straight to the Orbi router and got the high speeds I expect, did the same with the Satellite unit and also got high speeds.

I really hope someone has a solution, I paid more than I would like for these routers, thinking that they would be reliable and give consistent speed and performance.

Thanks in advance for any tips or solutions.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

What ISP Speeds do you pay for UP and Down?

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What channels are you using?

What wireless devices are you using for speed testing. Wired speed testing is preferred as there are many factors that contribute to inaccurate speed testing over wireless.

Message 2 of 6
thejs
Aspirant

The ISP modem is a Technicolor, model TC4350.

I have 150 Mbps DOWN and 15 Mbps UP.

There are three other WiFi networks, and this has been the case since I bought these routers.

I am using Auto on 2.4GHz and 48 on 5GHz (I never changed them, these were set automatically)

I did three tests using an ethernet cable, I ran a test on my modem, ORBI router and Satellite and they all gave me close results. I ran these test on a Lenovo and MacBook Pro. I then ran speed test using the Wifi on both computers and the results were slow.

I am attaching the speed test screenshots that i ran using a cable connected to the Satellite, as well as the results I ran using my MacBook Pro using WiFi.

I used Google speed test, speedof.me, speedtest.net and fast.com

Thanks for replying.

Speedof.me speed test using ethernet cable.pngSpeedof.me speed test using Wifi.pngNetflix speed test using ethernet cable.pngNetflix speed test using Wifi.pngSpeedtest speed test using ethernet cable.pngSpeedtest speed test using Wifi.pngGoogle speed test using ethernet cable.pngGoogle speed test using Wifi.png

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Just checking to make sure the modem doesn't have a router built in.

Try setting 2.4Ghz on 1, 6 or 11. Try 11 first.

I'm using 1, and 48 on my router and consitently get 200/10 speeds on my iPhone 6sP at the router and Satellite. Just ran today. Satellite is wireless connected. Not wired backhaul. Using Beta version of FW, v2.1.3. Factory reset both router and satellite after updating. MIMO is disablied. I don't have Daisy Chain or Fast Roaming, You might try disabling these as well at some point.

Any other kinds of wireless interferences near by?

Message 4 of 6
thejs
Aspirant

I tried your settings suggestions and it didn't make any difference. I reset both router and satellite to factory settings and set them up from scratch, changing the SSID and password to make sure my mac was the only connected device, and still I had slow speeds on WiFi and the expected speed connected by ethernet cable on both the router and satellite.

I haven't added any wireless devices or appliances at home that might cause any interference.

I wonder if there is something physically wrong with the routers.

Thanks for trying to help

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible. Could try v2.0.1.4 and see. I presume if the same thing is happening here, something is happening with the system. Something you might contact NG support about. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7