Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wildly fluctuating download speeds

nika05
Follower

Wildly fluctuating download speeds

I'm at a loss right now as this problem has been going on for too long.

Computer using network cable directly into Orbi, I get 300+ mbps at all times.

Computer using Orbi wifi get's 150+ sometimes, but most times 30-50 mbps! Use my phone in airplane mode and run a speed test online and get 30-50 mpbs, use the orbi app on the phone and get 300+ mbps!!!!

I have 1 Orbi satellite and even if I'm in the same room as it I still get the same results. I am a wifi idiot, so I'm really lost here. I have rebooted the Orbi many times and it doesn't help.

Any info is GREATLY appreciated.

This is an Orbi RBR50

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Wildly fluctuating download speeds

The orbi system uses bandsteering. 

Meaning devices can be connected to 2.4ghz or 5ghz depending on their own band steering protocols.

Reason I say that is the 2.4ghz is a much much slower network and sensitive to interference. 

On my old Orbi AC system, the 30mbps was about all I could expect from it because there was so much intererence in my area. 

5ghz is much faster but its speeds drop off quickly with distance/obstructions. 

More than likely when you're getting the faster 150+ speeds, you're on the 5ghz and the lower 30mbps is the lower 2.4ghz. 

The good think is most services, don't need blazing faster speeds. 4k video only needs 25-40mbps to stream. 

So 4k video might struggle on the 2.4ghz but then usually after a bit of needing higher bandwidth, devices tend to steer themselves to the 5ghz band. 

Message 2 of 4
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello nika05,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

Please ensure that your RBR50 is on the current firmware which is FW version 2.7.5.4. 

Please navigate to the link below for the download file for your RBR50: 
Orbi RBR50v2 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support

For more information on manually updating your RBK50 please navigate to the link below:
https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Please let us know if you are still in need of assistance!

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@nika05 wrote:

Computer using network cable directly into Orbi, I get 300+ mbps at all times.

Computer using Orbi wifi get's 150+ sometimes, but most times 30-50 mbps! Use my phone in airplane mode and run a speed test online and get 30-50 mpbs, use the orbi app on the phone and get 300+ mbps!!!!

The Orbi 'app' reports the results of a Speed Test (by Ookla) that was performed on the router.  (Everything the app displays has come from the router.)  The router and a computer wired to the router should report the same download speed.  Note also that it does not matter whether the smartphone running the Orbi app is connected to the router or to the satellite.  The app says, "please run a Speed Test and tell me the results."  (actually, it probably doesn't say "please")

There are potentially two possibilities for the lower speed:

1. WiFi devices vary tremendously based on the WiFi chip set and number of antennas.  It would be useful to know the make/model of phone in order to discover the WiFi specs.  As @plemans pointed out, the 2.4G WiFi band is often congested, which can lead to lower performance.  I just ran a Speed Test on my 2019 Sony phone which is connected to the router at 5G and got the same speed as a wired computer (325Mbps)
  2. The link between router and satellite is 5G WiFi, which is affected by distance, building materials, and interference from other WiFi devices.  What is the distance between router and satellite and what "lies between them"?
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7