Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired internet but no wireless

DocZenith
Aspirant

Wired internet but no wireless

Hi, 

I have been running the Orbi system with one satellite for X months now without any bigger problems. Since yesterday I cannot any longer use internet through wirelessly. Mobile phones, laptops, chromecasts can connect to the Orbi, but without any access to internet.

If I connect to the Orbi with an ethernet cable internet works flawlessly.

I have restarted the router multiple times without having any change to the situation.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem can be?

Thanks

/Marcus

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Wired internet but no wireless

I would try to do a full factory reset of the unit by holding the reset button for 10+ seconds then set the unit up again. Also make sure all the Orbi units are using the same firmware version.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I would try to do a full factory reset of the unit by holding the reset button for 10+ seconds then set the unit up again. Also make sure all the Orbi units are using the same firmware version.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
DocZenith
Aspirant

Thank you Darren,

I followed your advice and the system have been working since.

I did hower get stuck in some infinity-loop in the setup process. When I had to enter password and the secret questions for the third time I had to hit the "advaced" tab to get anywhere.

Message 3 of 6
DocWatson
Tutor

I have the same issue, but with a much simpler implementation. I am using this device in AP mode only and your suggested solution didn't work. The entire rest of my network is rock-solid. I have no satelites. It was working fine, but suddenly the WIFI from this device would connect reliably, but have intemittent internet access. Sometimes it will work for a few minutes, sometimes NG from the start. The Guest account is not having the issues. It was not originally setup, but once I did has worked perfectly but the main WIFI SSID is always NG. I have tried:

1) re-booting the device

2) factory reset

3) turning of all satellite related options such as "Enable Daisy-Chain Topology"

4) disabled "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence"

5) disabled "Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings"

6) disabled "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING"

7) disabled "Enable Fast Roaming"

These settings are now in this status with the same WIFI useless excpet fo the Guest account. 

I am now consistently able to keep internet access via the Guest account, but NEVER able to keep internet via the normal SSID. When I switch from Guest to main SSID, the connection is immediate, it warns the quality of the internet connection might be poor, then declares "internet may not be available" from laptops, phones, tablets etc. There is no change if I disable the Guest account and just run the main SSID. 

I hope I can get some help here fast, this has been sveral days of dealing with this, and I am very annoyed at the extremely short supoport offered with this costly device. I have been using Netgear products for almost 20 years, and this is NOT what I expected when I purchased this device. I don't typically need any help, and I have many Netgear devices in client locations. 

Is the device defective or is the issue the firmware?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 4 of 6
HBtechstuff
Aspirant

I suspect there are deeper issues than a factory reset will solve.  I have had my Orbis for roughly a year and each version of firmware seems to make things worse.  My satellites lose connection to the router after what seems to be random lengths of time, I can never connect using 802.11ac even though my laptop supports 802.11ac and always connects using 802.11ac in my office.  I find that if I connect an ethernet cable directly to the router I can get full throughput on my internet connection but even this drops to no more than 8 Mbps download after a few days.  A reboot is the only way to return to my full 50 Mbps download speeds.

I have also started watching the WiFi signals from the satellites and router and have watched the satellites from transmitting different channels - specifically what looks like the backhaul channel.

Be happy to help provide data to get this resolved by frankly am about to replace these out of shear frustration.  

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 6
DocWatson
Tutor

wrote:

I suspect there are deeper issues than a factory reset will solve.  I have had my Orbis for roughly a year and each version of firmware seems to make things worse.  My satellites lose connection to the router after what seems to be random lengths of time, I can never connect using 802.11ac even though my laptop supports 802.11ac and always connects using 802.11ac in my office.  I find that if I connect an ethernet cable directly to the router I can get full throughput on my internet connection but even this drops to no more than 8 Mbps download after a few days.  A reboot is the only way to return to my full 50 Mbps download speeds.

I have also started watching the WiFi signals from the satellites and router and have watched the satellites from transmitting different channels - specifically what looks like the backhaul channel.

Be happy to help provide data to get this resolved by frankly am about to replace these out of shear frustration.  

I share your frustration and I can't stay in this limbo status of servicability or lack of support for long either. I may need to move to another prodiuct and begin to move my clients to other products as well if we can't get this resolved. I don't think a product in this prrice point should have these many issues as well as such short support cycles. Let's see what response we get....

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7