Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired or Wireless Backhaul?

KatoKato
Aspirant

Wired or Wireless Backhaul?

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have had my RBR20 systems for a few months now.

I'm in a small townhouse (1800 sq ft) and running my Orbi in AP mode connected to an ethernet port on my modem.   The satellites are wireless.     I have excellent signal strength and no complaints.    I have been thinking about setting up the system with a wireless backhaul (because I can) and was wondering if it would be really worth it or not?    I have fibre optic into the house so I get 1500 MBPS download and 1000 MBPS upload when doing speedtest at the modem.   When running the ORBI speedtest I am getting 500 MBPS download, 1000 MBPS upload, 1ms ping, which seems odd ... wondering what that is all about?

Any comments or suggestions?     I could connect the modem and two satellites directly to the ethernet ports on my modem.

Cheers and thanks,

Kato

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

"I have been thinking about setting up the system with a wireless backhaul (because I can) and was wondering if it would be really worth it or not?" If your satelites are already connected wireless, then there already running a wireless backhaul. Did you mean setting up a wired backhaul? If so, then you can do this. This would make the connect rate between the RBR and RBS 1000Mbps instead of 866Mbps. 

Message 2 of 12
KatoKato
Aspirant

Whoops I meant wired backhaul.   That's what I want to set up.

And sorry I can't seem to figure out how to edit my original post to refelct that change.  lol

Message 3 of 12
KatoKato
Aspirant

Yes --- that's what I meant.   A wired backhaul.      

Perhaps I'll give it a go then....

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 12
KatoKato
Aspirant

Thanks for the link .... I'll be setting up the third scenario.    Two satellites and Router (In AP mode) connected to the switch on the modem.    Does this mean I don't connect the router's yellow "Internet" port?   i.e.  all three devices connected via their "ethernet" ports?

Thanks,

Kato

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

When in AP mode, you need to connect the RBRs WAN port to the host router. RBS will need to be directly connected to the RBR, not at the modem. You can use a non managed, non green ethernet switch behind the RBR if you need additional LAN ports. 

Message 7 of 12
KatoKato
Aspirant

Ok that makes sense so the two satellites on a switch connected to the Orbi Router and "internet" (WAN) on router to my modem.

Now I'm still wondering if this is worth my effort since my current setup works great and I have very high speeds and coverage throughout the house.     I mean 866 mbps to 1000 mbps isn't much.    I suppose the 1000 mbps would be consistent since wired and the 866 mbps would typically measure lower?

The other thing is that my router is located on my main floor along with one satellite on the other end of the main floor.    Second satellite is upstairs.      If I hardwire my satellites the router will have to be located in my basement beside the modem and I won't get a very strong signal from it.   So just wondering if this is worth the effort.   Will it results in a major or noticeable difference?

Also .... wiring the satellites in like this.....since both satellites are connected to the Orbi router does that mean a maximum of 500 mbps for each satellite on average going to the modem if both satellites are is use?  (Or any other ratio for that matter, 750:250, etc...)

Cheers and thanks...

Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

If there is only one ethernet cable from the basement to where the router is currently placed, then I would leave things as they are.  My guess is the building has a patch panel in the basement which terminates ethernet cables from all over the house.   You have used the one ethernet cable at that location to connect the Orbi to the modem.  If you had a second ethernet cable to the same location, then you could connect the satellites using etherent.

Message 9 of 12
KatoKato
Aspirant

Yes --- patch panel in the basement and only one ethernet cable to where the router is currently placed on the main floor.   I suppose I'm curious to see if there's any difference in performance.    Presently the router connects to the two satellite's in a star topology.   And is very fast.

Message 10 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I doubt you would notice any difference.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

No, the connection rate will still be 1000Mpbs between the RBR and RBS. 

You can always configure wired RBS. There will be always more stability and better performance on wired vs wireless. And if you don't think there is any advantage to it, then you can always revert back to wireless. Smiley Wink

@KatoKato wrote:

Ok that makes sense so the two satellites on a switch connected to the Orbi Router and "internet" (WAN) on router to my modem.

Now I'm still wondering if this is worth my effort since my current setup works great and I have very high speeds and coverage throughout the house.     I mean 866 mbps to 1000 mbps isn't much.    I suppose the 1000 mbps would be consistent since wired and the 866 mbps would typically measure lower?

The other thing is that my router is located on my main floor along with one satellite on the other end of the main floor.    Second satellite is upstairs.      If I hardwire my satellites the router will have to be located in my basement beside the modem and I won't get a very strong signal from it.   So just wondering if this is worth the effort.   Will it results in a major or noticeable difference?

Also .... wiring the satellites in like this.....since both satellites are connected to the Orbi router does that mean a maximum of 500 mbps for each satellite on average going to the modem if both satellites are is use?  (Or any other ratio for that matter, 750:250, etc...)

Cheers and thanks...

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7