Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless performance

jngIII
Aspirant

Wireless performance

I just changed internet service providers, and since I did, my streaming apps - Hulu live, Netflix, prime video, pandora, etc. - no longer work. In communicating with both Hulu and my internet service provider, they both tell me that there is hardly any speed showing for the Roku devices I use to stream. My internet service provider set up a test network connection and we tried it on a Roku device close to the modem/router they supply and the streaming apps worked. This led the technician to believe it may be an issue with my orbi mesh system. Anyone have any experience with or solutions to this?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
AlbertOrbi
Aspirant

Re: Wireless performance

I got similar problem with you when replacing my AirPort Extreme by Orbi. My streamer (Naim) just can’t see the music files stored in the Synology. I think it would likely the problem of mesh Wi-Fi . Anyone got solution, or asking Netgear for a software update to fix this issue, which seems not uncommon.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 13
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Is Orbi setup as Router or AP Mode?

Mine is setup in AP mode and I have not run into issue with streaming from Synology NAS or streaming from Netflix/Hulu/etc.,

Message 3 of 13
AlbertOrbi
Aspirant

Thank you. I am using router mode (default). Would like to know by changing it to AP mode, do I need another router to be placed at the upfront position of the system layout.

I didn’t change the mode cause I don’t have another router apart from the Orbi.
Message 4 of 13
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@AlbertOrbi , your ISP box might act as both a modem and a router.  Can you provide the brand and model number for the ISP box that Orbi is connected to?

Message 5 of 13

@jngIII wrote:
I just changed internet service providers....

When you do this, you can't simply carry on as before. You need to get the equipment on your network to forget its misspent past with the old Internet service.

This usually means resetting things like modems and routers and connecting them to the new ISP from scratch.

If the ISP used its own equipment, that does not tell us anything about your own hardware.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Maybe you have done all this. It isn't clear from your message.

Message 6 of 13
AlbertOrbi
Aspirant

SW_, I think my modem is a tailor made one from the service provider, not one in the market. Anyway, I believe this is a pure modem.
Message 7 of 13

@AlbertOrbi wrote:
SW_, I think my modem is a tailor made one from the service provider, not one in the market.

Possible, but I have yet to encounter an ISP that makes its own equipment. They usually get a hardware maker to tailor one of its models for its needs. For example, Netgear makes devices for a bunch of ISPs.

@AlbertOrbi wrote:
Anyway, I believe this is a pure modem.

I would not make any assumptions. Most ISPs also supply modem/router combinations.

Does your device do wifi and/or wired Ethernet? Does it have a  bunch of ports on the back where you can connect other stuff?

Message 8 of 13
AlbertOrbi
Aspirant

Yes. The modem got 4 lan port at back for devices.
It’s a Huawei made for the service provider.
Do you think it’s a router/modem?
Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 10 of 13

@AlbertOrbi wrote:
Do you think it’s a router/modem?

Almost certainly.

Message 11 of 13
AlbertOrbi
Aspirant

Thanks for help. It looks that I need to fix some more settings before a smooth streaming. Will try but this trouble is really unexpected before I decide to replace my router set with Orbi.
I have been using 2 AirPort Extremes before with exactly the same set up without any problem at all.
It is unfortunate that one unit has broken down and AirPort Extreme is discontinued. Sad.
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

The change in upstream router should help get the system running well. Keep us posted. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7