Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless speed vs Router connectivity color?

ML2003
Aspirant

Wireless speed vs Router connectivity color?

Hi all,

My first post.  I just bought a RBK 23 (1 router and 2 satellites) and connected to a Spectrum modem.  My internet speed is 400/400 through spectrum.  I have the router in the office at 1end  of the house (only place it could go), 1 satellite in kitchen about 40-45 feet away and other satellite upstairs- probably around 30 feet from router.  House is about 5000 sq ft.

When I initially set-up, I was getting very fast speeds in the same room as the modem (400 mbps), and ok speeds (40-60 mbps kitchen, 20-30 mbps upstaris) near the satellites.  Both satellites had green lights on the network map.  After reading some forums, I turned off the daisy chain feature,  MIMO was already disabled.  Now the speeds in the kitchen are much faster (150 mbps), upstairs about the same as before.  But the satellites now show a yellow light on the network map- see pic.

My question is what's more important, wireless speed obtained or color of the satellites network connectivity?  Any other suggestions? I'm also thinking about upgrading to RBK 53.  Sorry for the long post but wanted to be detailed.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wireless speed vs Router connectivity color?

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Is the systeming working well currently? 

I would power OFF the system for 1 minute then back on and check status. It may take time for the system to fully settle in. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Try enabling Beamforming.

One reason for change in signal status was that when you had Daisy Chain enabled the farthest satellite was getting connected to the nearest satellite. Thus signal status was good. Now that DS is disabled, the farthest satellite is connected however may not have a great signal connetion though it's working well which is fine. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

2ndly, placement and distance is key. Your sq ft and distance are well with in the range. You might try adusting the RBS to be maybe a bit slower to see if the status changes. 

The only gain by getting a 50 series system is the wireless back end is faster than the 40 series is all. 

Message 2 of 6
ML2003
Aspirant

Firmware is the latest- I check last night.

Will get the modum model # and manufacturer when I'm home later.

System appears to be working well.  Kitchen speeds are great, upstairs speeds are ok.  What is strange is when I'm in same room as router, before turning off daisy chain speeds were 400 mbps as expected, now 150-200 mbps.  Not a big problem just strange.

Channels on auto.  Will change channels and enable beamforming when home.  

What is RBS?

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS is the model nomenclature for the satelites. RBR is the router base. 

I would enjoy the system. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
ML2003
Aspirant

Thanks again

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7