× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wlan access rejected : Incorrect security Orbi 40

fargoboyle75
Guide

Wlan access rejected : Incorrect security Orbi 40

I'm trying to connect a brand new Reoljnk camera via WiFi and having very little luck. In the logs it's showing wlan access rejected

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address 'xxxxxxxxxx', Sunday, December 10, 2023 

In the list of allowed devices it is showing up but the camera doesn't go through the setup properly so it's not connected and not setup properly.

I have rebooted the router, reset the camera, no parental controls are in place, New devices are allowed to connect.

I've disabled 5ghz and tried to connect via 2.4 with no luck.

So despite the router showing it and giving it a i.p address and mac address it won't allow it to connect to therefor allow me to complete the setup process rendering the camera currently useless.

Also a side note, how long do these orbi's take to reboot, it feels painfully like too long

I have a Orbi 40 with 2 satellites

Any help would be grateful

Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Wlan access rejected : Incorrect security Orbi 40

Which model of Reolink camera? (they have dozens)

Yes, Orbi WiFi systems take at least 2-3 minutes to restart.  Seems like an eternity.

Message 2 of 11
fargoboyle75
Guide

It's an Argus 3 pro

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I have a Reolink Argus 3 Pro that is connected to my ancient Orbi at 5G.

Just to 'nit pick', what model number is printed on the product label on the bottom of the Orbi router?

Message 4 of 11
marshray48
Aspirant

Since you've disabled the 5GHz band and attempted connection via 2.4GHz without success, it's worth double-checking the security settings on both the camera and the router. Ensure that the security protocols (e.g., WPA2) and the password match on both devices. Confirm that the camera is using the correct encryption method.

Message 5 of 11
fargoboyle75
Guide

Looks to be 26836-2204G under ICC ID. Hardware V2

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Looking for "RBRxxx".

Message 7 of 11
fargoboyle75
Guide

There's no mention of RBR on the label

Message 8 of 11
fargoboyle75
Guide

There's not much to check the camera side, it scans a QR code of the SSID and password then 'should' configure it to setup and connect. The details are correct (tested to be sure on another device). I've even tried selecting both WPA2 and WPA created a password and tried that no joy. I must admit I'm not exactly a novice but by no means an expert in this area.

I have 2 other Reolink cameras, older models and they connected when they were setup in the past.

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@fargoboyle75 wrote:

Looks to be 26836-2204G under ICC ID. Hardware V2

This is just annoying.  It seems like everything I have come to know about Orbi products is no longer correct.

Here are product labels from an RBR50 and RBR750 router:

CrimpOn_0-1702247593080.png

CrimpOn_1-1702248062439.png

(oh, well. I'm not having a great day so far, anyway.)

Two things come to mind:

• The Reolink Argus 3 Pro camera does not support WiFi6 (802.11ax).  I see no reason why this should be an issue, but there have been reports of other devices failing to work when the WiFi system is set to allow 802.11ax.  There is an option on the Advanced WiFi setup page to disable ax.  Might be worth a try.
  • For sure, the Argus 3 Pro does not support WPA3 security.  Only the most recent Orbi models include this security feature, which is the reason for my fixation on the model number.

I also agree entirely that this error seems impossible.  The error message does not focus on the password, but on the type of security.  When I use a QR Code reader to display the contents of the QR Code, all that is in it is the SSID and the password.

Message 10 of 11
fargoboyle75
Guide

Sorry, brain fade moment, I thought you meant on the camera, 

It's RBR40

Reolink have requested the camera back so I should get a replacement at some point, hopefully that will connect without any problems. The incorrect security message is pretty vague tbh, gives me very little to go on. I was going to change the SSID and password as a last resort (pain having to reconnect the all my other devices) but it's gone back. 

So I'll wait for the replacement and cross my fingers there's no issues, thanks for the advice given in this thread.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series