Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Would your recommend ORBI RBK53

jdorion
Aspirant

Would your recommend ORBI RBK53

The RBK53 form Coscto fits my needs as well as my budget for a mesh wireless network. However, reading all the issues a lot of users have and are currently experiencing has made me stop and reevaluate things. My question to the community, specically Orbi users, would you recommend the Orbi System?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Would your recommend ORBI RBK53

I set up this system for my friend who got his from Costco:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

He's happy with it.

Message 2 of 10
jdorion
Aspirant

I did read that before posting which gives me some hope this system can be reliable if configured correctly. The only difference is you are using Ethernet for your friends backhaul where I would be wireless. I'm not sure if that is a issue or not.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between router and satllite(s) to begin with depending upon building materials for wireles back haul.

Depending upon size and lay out of home, you may only need just one satellite. Too small of a home, you don't need additional satellites. The router alone can cover a large are by itselt and you don't want over lapping wifi signals.

Message 4 of 10
jdorion
Aspirant

It's about 1800 sq.ft, split entry. Internet comes in downdstairs in a corner. The bedroom downstairs which is on the opposite side of the current AP has spotty connection. The bedrooms upstairs which are are on the opposite side of the current AP have poor signal.

I currently have an older Asus router N66U (wireless disabled) and using an Ubiquiti AC Pro my main AP. Modem, router, and AP are on the lower level.

I've also thought about upgrading my router and getting two NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC2200 WiFi extenders. I'm still on the fence as to what my best option would be.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using that stuff along with the Orbi?

That size of home should only need the Orbi router and just 1 satellite..maybe. Nothing else. Placement will be key.

Message 6 of 10
jdorion
Aspirant

If I get the Orbi it will replace my Asus N66U router as well as the Ubiquiti AP. Are you thinking that 2 satillites would have a negative affect? I need to place one satellite in the room on the lower on the opposite side of where the router will be, due to the computer in there will utililize the Ethernet port on the satellite. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

For the size of home you have, yes, using two satellites along with the main host router will probably be too much. I would definately start with the base router and just 1 satellite. I have a 5000sq ft home two story, base upstairs at one end and the satellites at the other end 40 feet in between. Coverage through out the home.

Message 8 of 10
jdorion
Aspirant

PM sent.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors