Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wow!!! Orbi Firmware V2.0.0.72 Released

martyfp
Luminary

@NestoMS3 wrote:

I forced the system into 2 seperate SSID's for 2.4 and 5ghz so I could pick which one a device specifically connected to. 

Really ? How did you do that ? 

I thought that the Orbi only supported the same SSID for 2.4 and 5Ghz ?

Message 101 of 151
NestoMS3
Tutor

@martyfp wrote:

@NestoMS3 wrote:

I forced the system into 2 seperate SSID's for 2.4 and 5ghz so I could pick which one a device specifically connected to. 

Really ? How did you do that ? 

I thought that the Orbi only supported the same SSID for 2.4 and 5Ghz ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/5svxmy/howto_configure_different_ssids_for_24_and_5ghz/

Follow that guide, you'll need to Telnet into the router and the satellite seperately but worked perfect for me.

Do the Router first, once it reboots, lgo into the satellite and turn telnet on and then telnet into the satellite and let it fully reboot. Make sure that your SSID name for the 5ghz band is identical to what you set on the router 

I do need to state - you do this at your own risk of course

Message 102 of 151
martyfp
Luminary

Nice one - thanks.   That looks interesting.  Also on the same forum there's info on how to do the same for Guest network

Message 103 of 151
NestoMS3
Tutor

@martyfp wrote:

Nice one - thanks.   That looks interesting.  Also on the same forum there's info on how to do the same for Guest network

I honestly didn't care about the guest network since I have it turned off

Message 104 of 151
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Honestly, I am not seeing this band steering issue that is being spoken of.

I have 23 devices connected + 2 satellites. Everything appears to be connected to the proper band. The devices close by that can take advantage of 5 Ghz are using it and the ones further away I see are connected on 2.4Ghz. 

I am not experiencing any dropouts, or streaming issues. I have 7 NAT rules to allow various connections into my network. I have the RBK50 purchased in Costo, and my cable modem 150Mb/16Mb up is running as a bridge directly to the Orbi on firmware 2.0 now.

I did have to turn off my UPnP which was the only issue I experienced with the Orbi, but otherwise the connections and the router have been rock solid stable. I'd have to guess that people that have customised settings probably triggered something in the software causing their own issues. 

Message 105 of 151
DasND
Initiate

It amazes me how Netgear releases new firmware that is either retracted or is buggy.  I don't know how new versions of firmware are quality tested but it's getting ridiculous.  I spend so much time with each firmware upgrade dealing with magenta light that recurs.

Message 106 of 151
spinkick
Apprentice

At this point, i think its environment. Wireless is complex and no two homes are the same. Imagine developing software to try and account for every single situation. its pretty mind blowing. 

Message 107 of 151
superben79
Apprentice

When I checked via the UI, the v2 fw is still not yet available for the router and the satellite. I know I can manually download the fw from the dropbox but I am curious why i don’t receive the fw automatically.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 108 of 151
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@superben79 wrote:

When I checked via the UI, the v2 fw is still not yet available for the router and the satellite. I know I can manually download the fw from the dropbox but I am curious why i don’t receive the fw automatically.

I'm pretty sure you can't receive it automatically yet because they have not released it yet. They may be working on one last issue and the version that will be release is not the same as the one you can download now. At least I am hoping that's the case and not a case of some so called leader in the company that cannot make up his mind on whether to release this version or not.

Message 109 of 151
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I do wish that Netgear would take a page out of Apple's books and allow me to sign up for Beta firmware. It just seems theyv'e kept the beta tight to their chest with the result being not enough testing to actually discover and resolve issues in a timely manner.

Message 110 of 151

@aaz wrote:

I do wish that Netgear would take a page out of Apple's books and allow me to sign up for Beta firmware. It just seems theyv'e kept the beta tight to their chest with the result being not enough testing to actually discover and resolve issues in a timely manner.

um you might be shocked to know there is quite a big beta test community that actuvly work on the beta firmware ,

Message 111 of 151
JMU1998
Luminary

@NestoMS3 did you happen to figure out how to turn off the 2.4GHz radio completely? 

Message 112 of 151
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@peteytesting wrote:

@aaz wrote:

um you might be shocked to know there is quite a big beta test community that actuvly work on the beta firmware ,

Well, I guess I am a part of it now by testing the 2.0 firmware that I found on the forum, but I am not aware of anything like the apple public beta program.

What did shock me is when I asked the netgear support person that I was working with if there was a beta firmware that I could try, they said no there was not, and then a day later I found it was posted on the forum.

Message 113 of 151
martyfp
Luminary

@JMU1998 wrote:

@NestoMS3 did you happen to figure out how to turn off the 2.4GHz radio completely? 

@JMU1998   Out of curiosity I had a poke about...  If you telenet into the orbi then do this :

nvram show  |  grep wl_  

( the " | " character is the linux pipe symbol )

The will show all of the nvram settings and then grep out the ones starting with "wl_"  , i.e. those that are related to the 2.4GHz.

In the list you will see SSID,  passwords, channel settings, country codes.... the works.      If you grep for wla_ then you get the 5GHz settings.

I am GUESSING that the "wl_radio=1"  config is the one that enables the 2.4 radio.    I have not tried this, but possibly setting that to zero might work.

Message 114 of 151
dpdurst
Luminary

Upgraded system, one of the smoothest upgrades in a few builds. Everything back online. 1 Sat and 31 devices connected. So far nothing to report. All my stuff working before is working after just fine.

Message 115 of 151
DasND
Initiate

Ver 2.0.0.74 now available.  Initial was 2.0.0.72.  Lets see how this one goes.

Message 116 of 151
njweb
Luminary

@DasND wrote:

Ver 2.0.0.74 now available.  Initial was 2.0.0.72.  Lets see how this one goes.

Interesting thanks, let me check release notes. 

Anyway, just wanted to share that things were rock solid with the 1.XXX firmware I got when I got my Orbi not too long ago and are also fine with V2.0.0.72 firmware which mine was automatically uprgaded to about a week ago.I did have to reboot my setup (cable modem snd Orbi) once last weekend (prob due to new firmware), no issues since or before.

I have TiVO MoCA devices, wireless thermostats, Rokus on wifi, laptops and VOIP all working well.

I connect to work remotely and connection has bee very reliable. 

Interestingly, all but 1 wifi device (that are currently connected) are connecting to the router (as opposed to 1 of the 2 satellites) according to the admin UI! The majority of the devices are currently on the main floor so it makes sense, but  some are upstairs and in the basement and I am very surprised that those are showing connected to the Orbi router instead of being connected to the closer of the 2 satellites.

Anyone else notice similar behavior (which can be checked now that the UI shows to which Orbi each device is connected)?

Message 117 of 151
st_shaw
Master

@njweb wrote:

Interestingly, all but 1 wifi device (that are currently connected) are connecting to the router (as opposed to 1 of the 2 satellites) according to the admin UI! The majority of the devices are currently on the main floor so it makes sense, but  some are upstairs and in the basement and I am very surprised that those are showing connected to the Orbi router instead of being connected to the closer of the 2 satellites.

Anyone else notice similar behavior (which can be checked now that the UI shows to which Orbi each device is connected)?

Sure.  Many devices will connect to the best AP when the device makes a connection, then never roam unless the signal drops.  Now consider that when you reboot your Orbi, the router usually comes up first, with the satellite coming online 30 seconds or more later.  What you end up with is devices stuck to the router.  Bottom line is after a reboot, power loss, etc, you may need to power-cycle some devices to get them to connect to the best AP.

Message 118 of 151
njweb
Luminary

@st_shaw wrote:

@njweb wrote:

Sure.  Many devices will connect to the best AP when the device makes a connection, then never roam unless the signal drops.  Now consider that when you reboot your Orbi, the router usually comes up first, with the satellite coming online 30 seconds or more later.  What you end up with is devices stuck to the router.  Bottom line is after a reboot, power loss, etc, you may need to power-cycle some devices to get them to connect to the best AP.

Thanks! That could well be the case then.

I suspect I have mostly 'sticky' clients on the upstairs level and in the basement (Rokus are probably the main devices in that situation).

Message 119 of 151
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

I have had to reboot my system several times, due to changing address reservations, and initially was concerned about my farthest satellite having only 2 of 37 devices connected.

However I rechecked a few hours later and confirmed that the satellite was daisy chained through the other satellite and by that time it had 12 devices.

So as st_shaw has advised, as the router “comes up” first the devices initially connect to it and in my case they do actually reprocess the connection and move as required. After a bit of time a quick look at the UI and you can usually determine if a device is actually stuck and needs a helping power cycle.

Message 120 of 151
njweb
Luminary

Posting issue... Edited  duplicate message. See next post.

Message 121 of 151
njweb
Luminary

Does anyone know what changed in V2.0.0.74 vs V2.0.0.72?

Message 122 of 151
spinkick
Apprentice

There is also a setting to have aggressive router switching turned on. I cant remember what the exact wording is, but its a check box so that your devices should connect to the stronger device.

I too would like to know the difference between .72 and .74

Message 123 of 151
Hydro130
Luminary

I'm in the midst of the update now - I manually uodated the firmware (that went fine), and did a full factory reset and NVRAM-clear so far...

I'm not too deep into rebuilding my settings yet, but I did notice that the 3 options for Implicit Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Transition are all UNchecked by default - IIRC, those were all checked by default in .72

I'm planning to leave all three unchecked myself, but we'll see how it goes!

Message 124 of 151
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Hydro130 wrote:

I'm in the midst of the update now - I manually uodated the firmware (that went fine), and did a full factory reset and NVRAM-clear so far...

I'm not too deep into rebuilding my settings yet, but I did notice that the 3 options for Implicit Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Transition are all UNchecked by default - IIRC, those were all checked by default in .72

That has got to be a mistake in their clearing routine. I've found those options very stable on .72, and if they are not on .74 I'll revert back to .72 until the next release.

Message 125 of 151
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7