Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: admin password on orbi satellite (RBS20)

cpking
Aspirant

admin password on orbi satellite (RBS20)

I have an RBR40 as my main router; I've attached my previous RBR20 as an access point to it. The original RBS20 satellite shows sync'd in both the app and in a web browser. However, the the admin password which I changed on the router is not syncing with the satellite. So, my router at 192.168.1.1 has credentials of admin|mynewpassword, and the satelitte at 192.168.1.8 has credentials of admin|myOLDpassword.

When using a browser to access the satellite, there is nowhere I can see to change the password. How do I change it?

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

My Orbi satellite "learns" the admin password from the router it is attached to.  There is no provision to set the admin password on the satellite itself.  Have you tried turning the satellite off and then back on?

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Be sure FW is the same on RBR and RBS...

@cpking wrote:

I have an RBR40 as my main router; I've attached my previous RBR20 as an access point to it. The original RBS20 satellite shows sync'd in both the app and in a web browser. However, the the admin password which I changed on the router is not syncing with the satellite. So, my router at 192.168.1.1 has credentials of admin|mynewpassword, and the satelitte at 192.168.1.8 has credentials of admin|myOLDpassword.

When using a browser to access the satellite, there is nowhere I can see to change the password. How do I change it?

Message 3 of 6
snikker17
Guide

"What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?"
How does that even matter in this scenario? The mere fact that the satellite is online, viewable and reachable already proves that its connected on the same network so its quite obvious that distance cannot be an issue.

"Is the password you are using to access the RBS20 the same password that's on the RBR20?" If yes, then its likely the SAT is synced with the AP and not the router.
"Is the password on the new RBR20 AP the same as the RBR40?" If no, then again it points to the SAT likely being sync to AP and not Router. If yes, then there is a bigger issue because if RBR40(Router) and RBR20(AP) have same pwd and RBS20 doesnt, sync is failing.
Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Distance is a factor on ORBI systems. Too close or to far will cause the wifi overlap and connect between the RBR and RBS to be problematic...thus some will see odd problems like this. Also FW being not the same on the RBS can be problematic as well. 

We already know that if the RBS PW is the same as the RBR, then the RBS has synced with the RBR correctly. Which seems to be a problem the OP posted about 6 months ago.

@snikker17 wrote:
"What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?"
How does that even matter in this scenario? The mere fact that the satellite is online, viewable and reachable already proves that its connected on the same network so its quite obvious that distance cannot be an issue.

"Is the password you are using to access the RBS20 the same password that's on the RBR20?" If yes, then its likely the SAT is synced with the AP and not the router.
"Is the password on the new RBR20 AP the same as the RBR40?" If no, then again it points to the SAT likely being sync to AP and not Router. If yes, then there is a bigger issue because if RBR40(Router) and RBR20(AP) have same pwd and RBS20 doesnt, sync is failing.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you get this working? 

@cpking wrote:

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7