Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

block wifi channel from neighbors

bevanmission
Aspirant

block wifi channel from neighbors

Is there any way for me to choose my channels for my  2.4, and two 5.2  wifi connections AND then block my neighborhood from accessing the same channels that I'm using??   I have 1Gig wired internet to my home. It seems that almost everyday I have to use the Netgear Genie to change my channels because others have joined my channels which then causes me noticeable hangups.  Thank-you for any help - in advance.  

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: block wifi channel from neighbors

You can change channels on the RBRs web page using a web browser. 

No you can't block other wifi signals from using the same channel. However you can try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@bevanmission wrote:

Is there any way for me to choose my channels for my  2.4, and two 5.2  wifi connections AND then block my neighborhood from accessing the same channels that I'm using??   I have 1Gig wired internet to my home. It seems that almost everyday I have to use the Netgear Genie to change my channels because others have joined my channels which then causes me noticeable hangups. 

The short answer: No.

Somehow this post showed up in the Netgear Orbi community forum rather than in the Nighthawk forum, but the answer remains the same. It is futile to change WiFi channels in hopes of avoiding nearby systems.

I disagree with @FURRYe38 and see no reason to reduce the WiFi power on your system.  I think the stronger your WiFi signal is, the better off your devices will be.  Interference is just a "fact of life" with WiFi.  Attempting to escape the neighbors is futile.  Most residential WiFi routers have the 2.4G WiFi set to "auto" where the router periodically scans the available frequencies and changes to the one that appears to be less congested.  Then, other routers also decide to change.  A never-ending cycle.  5G WiFi (in most countries) offers a limited range of frequencies, which is one reason WiFi 6E was introduced (more non-overlapping channels).

It might be worth describing these "hangups".  What is happening that is "noticable"?

In the corporate sphere, it is a common practice to map out WiFi access points. 2.4G channels 1, 6, and 11 do not "overlap", so the network engineers use only 1,6,11 and space them where neighboring access points do not overlap.  What you could do, would be to speak to your neighbors and come to an agreement.  For example, if you use channel 1, then the neighbor to one side uses 6 and the neighbor to the other side uses 11.  (Good luck with THAT! Maybe they will also keep their dogs from barking.)

In mathematics, the "Four Color Problem" describes how many different colors it takes to make a map where no adjacent countries have the same color.  WiFi provides only 3 non-overlapping frequencies, not 4.

Message 3 of 4
vajim
Master

@bevanmission wrote:

Is there any way for me to choose my channels for my  2.4, and two 5.2  wifi connections AND then block my neighborhood from accessing the same channels that I'm using??   I have 1Gig wired internet to my home. It seems that almost everyday I have to use the Netgear Genie to change my channels because others have joined my channels which then causes me noticeable hangups.  Thank-you for any help - in advance.  

If you'll leave your WiFi channel selection at AUTO your life will be more pleasant 

Remember as you try to tweak your channels your neighbors are doing the same

let the orbi figure it out.  That's what auto is for.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7