Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cannot connect to internet when ups is active orbi20

zvikagutkin
Aspirant

cannot connect to internet when ups is active orbi20

Hi ,
I have the orbi20 with 2 sattelites .

The orbi is connected to a modem with cable .

the modem and orbi router connected to UPS .

When there is a power outage the modem and orbi getting power from UPS 

the modem works good and I can connect to it's wifi and surf while no electricity 

the orbi get power but I see blinking white and I connect and disconnect from it and cannot surf the internet .

It seems that it has some issues because the sattelits not getting power but still I need to be able to connect to the router and surf.

Any Ideas ?

Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: cannot connect to internet when ups is active orbi20

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Buit in router here by chance? 

I would not include the RBS in with any emergency batter backup configurations as this would draw more power from the UPS or a UPS. The only item you need if you want to provide some wifi internet access while the UPS is engaged during a power outage is the ISP modem and the base RBR only. 

Possible the UPS may not be delievering enough power when it's engaged. To test this out a bit more connect the ISP modem and RBR to a power strip thats connected to a wall out let. Then simulate a power outage by turning off the power strip for 30sec to a 1minute. Then power it On. Check the RBRs top ring LED behavior. Does it pulsate or flash WHITE or does it turn BLUE then turn OFF. OFF means the RBR is working normally. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

What are the results for this? 

Message 2 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@zvikagutkin wrote:

The orbi is connected to a modem with cable .

the modem and orbi router connected to UPS .

When there is a power outage the modem and orbi getting power from UPS 

the modem works good and I can connect to it's wifi and surf while no electricity 

the orbi get power but I see blinking white and I connect and disconnect from it and cannot surf the internet .

Just to be clear, neither of the satellites are connected to UPS, and you do not expect them to function during a power outage, correct?

If the modem and Orbi router are both connected to (the same?) UPS, when power goes out both the modem and Orbi should continue to function normally.  That is how my modem/Orbi are set up and that is what they do.  (I also have a desktop on the same UPS, and it also continues to work normally.)

The Orbi router pulsing white indicates "factory default mode".  When the power comes back  on, does the Orbi function normally?

p.s. You mention the "modem WiFi", which indicates that the modem is actually a modem/router/WiFi device.  There are distince disadvantages to running two routers and two WiFi networks.  But, that should be a separate issue.

Message 3 of 18
zvikagutkin
Aspirant

v2.3.5.26

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Buit in router here by chance? 
technicolor TG789vac v2 
it's a modem router 
The only item you need if you want to provide some wifi internet access while the UPS is engaged during a power outage is the ISP modem and the base RBR only. 
This is exactly how it is , only the modem and orbi base connected to the UPS.

Message 4 of 18
zvikagutkin
Aspirant

Just to be clear, neither of the satellites are connected to UPS, and you do not expect them to function during a power outage, correct?

yes . exactly 
You mention the "modem WiFi", which indicates that the modem is actually a modem/router/WiFi device.  There are distince disadvantages to running two routers and two WiFi networks.  But, that should be a separate issue.
On regualr basis i'm not using and disabling the wifi of the modem .
when power goes out both the modem and Orbi should continue to function normally. 

I had a situation when the poer outage was not long and the orbi router + the sattelites return to normal ,

and when I it was long one of the sattelites  become red and I I got connected disconnectd from the orbi base till I restart the sattelite by unplugin the electric cable .

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is the ISP modem working in? Modem only mode or Router mode? 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Possible the UPS may not be delievering enough power when it's engaged. To test this out a bit more connect the ISP modem and RBR to a power strip thats connected to a wall out let. Then simulate a power outage by turning off the power strip for 30sec to a 1minute. Then power it On. Check the RBRs top ring LED behavior. Does it pulsate or flash WHITE or does it turn BLUE then turn OFF. OFF means the RBR is working normally. What is the result of doing this simulated power bump test? 

@zvikagutkin wrote:

v2.3.5.26

technicolor TG789vac v2 
it's a modem router 
The only item you need if you want to provide some wifi internet access while the UPS is engaged during a power outage is the ISP modem and the base RBR only. 
This is exactly how it is , only the modem and orbi base connected to the UPS.

Message 6 of 18
zvikagutkin
Aspirant

Here is a video that show the issue 

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Is that a power strip connected to the UPS? IF so, this needs to be removed. Its recommended to not use any power strips behind a UPS. Both modem and RBR needs to be connected directly to the UPS back plug ins. 

What mode is the ISP modem working in? Modem only mode or Router mode? 

Try a different UPS to see if same thing happens? 

Message 8 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@zvikagutkin wrote:

Here is a video that show the issue 

Thanks for the video.  Actually, it looks like two power strips.  What was unplugged? (white power supply)  Was that the Orbi power, or ....?

p.s. Glad to see that other people have the same nest of wires under their computer desk as I do.

Message 9 of 18
zvikagutkin
Aspirant

sorry for the late reply ,  I needed to sort soemurgent stuff .

Anyway thanks for the info .
I don't have another UPS to test .

I don't think that because it plug to power stripe cause this issue as I unplug it from this power stripe and then it needs to work the same as the modem works . I did switch the UPS to connect direct to the power supply but it was the same .
I also tried to disconnect the sattelits and then do the power outage but same issue .

I tried to connect only the ORBI to the UPS (move the modem to the main power ) but same issue .

I upload another video that shows what's hapenning .

Isn't there any logs that I can search what's going on ?

This is frustrating as I thought the Orbi will give me better expirenece than the nighthwak I had but it's not .

Message 10 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Welcome back.  The new video may not have uploaded?

I was interested in which device was being unplugged in the previous video.  In my (limited) experience, UPS tends to have a "regular electrical plug", but it looked like a transformer plug was being removed from the plug strip.  It looked a lot like the Orbi power supply. Of course, that cannot be the case because that would make the Orbi power off completely - dead, no lights, nothing.

I have a UPS powering my modem, Orbi, and desktop computer.  When the mains power goes out, all three remain in service as long as the cable company is providing service.

Message 11 of 18
zvikagutkin
Aspirant

Message 12 of 18
zvikagutkin
Aspirant

This is the UPS i bought 

https://www.google.com/search?q=ARMOR+LINE+600VA&rlz=1C5CHFA_enIL772IL772&sxsrf=ACYBGNQ7D_NDrYJvcc_a...

it's suppose to be for computers with monitors that's why I needed a converter for regular plugs .

I didn't find any other UPS (or better, mini UPS ) for 220V that I know working with Orbi and I can buy it .

Message 13 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for posting the video.  It appears that the UPS does not switch to battery quickly enough for the Orbi.  i.e., the Orbi detected that power was interrupted (power LED went out), power came back and Orbi reboots (power LED Amber), then the power LED turned Green and the Orbi router was in "Factory Default Mode" (flashing).  Orbi color codes are here:https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean 

It could be:

• There is something wrong with the Orbi.  That it should have "kept going" while the UPS switched from mains to battery.  Maybe a bad capacitor in the power supply or something. (The modem seems to handle the UPS switchover.) The way to test this would be to swap in another Orbi, which is impractical. 
  • The UPS does not switch quickly enough, but the modem is built to handle a longer outage than the Orbi.

I think the Orbi needs to be on a different UPS.  Rather than one that "switches to batter", perhaps one that is constantly on battery so there is no switchover.  (I remember reading about there being two basic types of UPS: Standby and Line Interactive.  Here's a good explanation: https://download.schneider-electric.com/files?p_Doc_Ref=SPD_SADE-5TNM3Y_EN 

Message 14 of 18
zvikagutkin
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer.
2 things
Sometimes when I there is a power outage or even when I make a change in orbi configuration one of the satteliits goes red and I need to restart it for the entire mesh to work. I thought that even if one sattelite loosen connection or some things happen to it they otherwise willingness work without it. What I'm experiencing is that there device is connect to the router and then loose the connection and again loose connection... Till I rebooting them bad sattelite.
This makes we wonder if if it's badge hardware.
Second
Where can I find such ups that works with orbi an use 220v?
Message 15 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

When the power goes out and the Orbi is in that strange "pulsing" condition, satellites will be unable to connect.  If the power comes back on, the satellite will boot up and not be able to connect to the router until you deliberately power cycle it.

My modem/Orbi/switch/desktop are connected to an APC Back-UPS NS 1350G (that I purchased at a discount place, either Costco or Sams Club).  It is a line interactive type.

Geez.  I have absolutely no information about 220v UPS, and cannot even imagine what sort of plugs you need.  A suggestion: since no one else has posted on this topic, you might create a new post with a title like "Please Recommend UPS for Orbi in <country>  (220v, type X plugs)".  I know there are people who follow the community forum and live in the UK, Europe, New Zealand, South America, etc.  Surely one of them will be more competent on this suject than I am.

Message 16 of 18
zvikagutkin
Aspirant

Thanks a lot .
I will create a new post but just wants to understand if I have an hardware issue .

What do you think ? last time I changed configuration (Disabled WMM ) and when applied I started to get connected/dicsonnected loop . I reliazed that one of the sattleits has an issue and  I went to see it, it was red and I needed to reboot in order to solve it .

So I'm trying also to understand if I have a bigger problem that UPS 😞

Message 17 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree.  The video was pretty persuasive to me.  The UPS lost power, and instantly the Orbi power LED went out, then turned amber which indicates starting, and then green.  I think it happened so fast that the Orbi got confused.  So, yes, it could be a faulty component inside the Orbi.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7