Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

connecting orbi to Nighthawk X6s and using X6s as a switch

slhester40
Follower

connecting orbi to Nighthawk X6s and using X6s as a switch

I was wondering if I could turn my Nighthawk X6s mesh extender into a switch and connect it to my Orbi RBK50 or use my old Nighthawk X6 AC3200 tri band router as a switch.  I hate to get rid of them and in the near future I wanted to add a switch to my network. 

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: connecting orbi to Nighthawk X6s and using X6s as a switch

I would for certain hang onto the Nighthawk in case something goes wrong with the Orbi and you need a fallback.

Put it into AP mode, turn off the WiFi, and it becomes a large, ugly, 4-port switch.

Since 8-port unmanaged gigabit switches are under $30, my choice was to purchase a switch.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: connecting orbi to Nighthawk X6s and using X6s as a switch

You could ask NG support for FW for the EX8000 which would make it work like a satellite with the Orbi system if you want too. Stock FW doesn't work, however others reported getting FW for the EX and it would connect to the Orbi system. 

@slhester40 wrote:

I was wondering if I could turn my Nighthawk X6s mesh extender into a switch and connect it to my Orbi RBK50 or use my old Nighthawk X6 AC3200 tri band router as a switch.  I hate to get rid of them and in the near future I wanted to add a switch to my network. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7