Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

connecting two rbr10 routers together (bridge mode?)

wuziq
Follower

connecting two rbr10 routers together (bridge mode?)

I bought two RBK12 systems, and I'd like them to work together. One router would operate as a normal router, and the second router would be connected to the mesh via moca. Basically it's like connecting the "internet" port of the second router to the "ethernet" port of first router. Anyway I think this means the second router needs to operate in bridge mode. Is this possible? Or what's the right way to get this to work? I saw some bridge settings related to port group and VLAN tag but that just made my router's light beige.

This setup worked automatically with my old Google Wifi system, so I'm hoping it also works with the RBK12.
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: connecting two rbr10 routers together (bridge mode?)

@wuziq wrote:
I bought two RBK12 systems, and I'd like them to work together. One router would operate as a normal router, and the second router would be connected to the mesh via moca.

Yes, if the second router "internet" port is connected to the first router LAN port (using an Ethernet cable, MoCHA, Powerline, etc.) then the second system should be placed into Access Point (AP) mode.  The Orbi 'app' is not capable of doing this.

On the Orbi web interface, navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings (bottom menu item), then select Router/AP mode.

Once the second system is in AP mode, then the primary router will be in charge of all "router" functions.

Please understand that the Orbi system is engineered differently than the Google system.  The second RBK12 system remains a different WiFi network than the first system.  Even if they both have exactly the same WiFi name/password, they are separate systems.

For devices that do not move, this will not be a problem.

For devices that are mobile (phones, laptops, tablets) there will not be the same transparent "hand off" when a device roams from one Orbi unit to another.

As you may have figured out by now, Netgear's attempt to create a mesh system that more closely matches Google Nest's "price point" has resulted in satellites that have no Ethernet port, which means that MoCHA cannot be used to connect them to the router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: connecting two rbr10 routers together (bridge mode?)

@wuziq wrote:
I bought two RBK12 systems, and I'd like them to work together. One router would operate as a normal router, and the second router would be connected to the mesh via moca.

Yes, if the second router "internet" port is connected to the first router LAN port (using an Ethernet cable, MoCHA, Powerline, etc.) then the second system should be placed into Access Point (AP) mode.  The Orbi 'app' is not capable of doing this.

On the Orbi web interface, navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings (bottom menu item), then select Router/AP mode.

Once the second system is in AP mode, then the primary router will be in charge of all "router" functions.

Please understand that the Orbi system is engineered differently than the Google system.  The second RBK12 system remains a different WiFi network than the first system.  Even if they both have exactly the same WiFi name/password, they are separate systems.

For devices that do not move, this will not be a problem.

For devices that are mobile (phones, laptops, tablets) there will not be the same transparent "hand off" when a device roams from one Orbi unit to another.

As you may have figured out by now, Netgear's attempt to create a mesh system that more closely matches Google Nest's "price point" has resulted in satellites that have no Ethernet port, which means that MoCHA cannot be used to connect them to the router.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7