Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

dnsmasq failure

mini4mw
Guide

dnsmasq failure

I was running V2.5.1.16 and have been for 6+ months no issue.  The other night the internet went down and I logged into the Orbi via web and verified the provider issue.  While there I noticed the upgrade to 2.6.2.104.  Since nothing was working (internet down) I figured it was a good time to upgrade and via the web upgraded the router and 3 sats.  All came back fine on the new code and later on internet was fine when the provider came back.  

Within 24hrs the machines on DHCP stopped having internet access.  Checking things out I found internet was fine but DNS was failing.  Requests to router IP just timing out.  Rebooted and fine.  Within 24hrs it happened again.  Rebooted, searched for issue, enabled telnet to router and started poking around.  Within 24hrs it happened again and this time just restarted dnsmasq via init,d.  I grepped through /var/log but I don't see anything there related to DNS.  init.d doesn't have any status commands for the service and no systemctl so I can't status the service but the pid is there.  Next time it happened I just reloaded the config and that fixed the issue (init,d option to 'reload' instead of 'restart' which just re-reads the config).  It happened the 5th time in almost as many days and I just downgraded to the old code (2.5.1.16) on everything. So far everything is fine.  If someone wants to debug the issue I'd be happen to collect data as time permits.  As a work around while on the new version I can screenscrape to ensure telnet is enabled and run a script to telnet to the router and reload the service as necessary to prevent any outages longer than perhaps 5 minutes.

Anyway, something definitely broken with dnsmasq.  I'm sure it passed the mustard to release the code but I've lucked out and have the 'special' setup to cause it to break.  It would be nice if:

1) it would check itself, simple task as mentioned

2) NG allow you to set your own DNS servers and only force dnsmasq when secure functions are enabled that require filtering.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
mini4mw
Guide

Re: dnsmasq failure

based on same thread and update from reddit;

i upgraded again to 2.6.2.104.  Within 4 hours I had two more DNS outages.  Same as before, DNS lookups to orbi router timing out.  Log into router via telnet, reload the config (I'm not sure if dnsmasq was dead, just started documenting pid after last outage) and it started working again.  On the 3rd outage I turned DST off (Advanced->administration->NTP->uncheck DST).  I reloaded dnsmasq again (no reboots) and so far I've been good for 4 hours.  Hopefully this fixes the issue.  1 hour off doesn't matter too much to me.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 14

All Replies
mini4mw
Guide

PS, since I've downgraded I haven't had the issue again..

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You can set custom DNS on the RBR under Advanced tab/Internet. 

Be aware there are problems with the user of Traffic Meter. 

Message 3 of 14
vajim
Master

@mini4mw wrote:

PS, since I've downgraded I haven't had the issue again..

nice

Message 4 of 14
mini4mw
Guide

DNS servers from the ISP are not the issue so setting the router DNS servers to specific ones doesnt help.  I would need the ability to change the DHCP DNS server given out so it is not the router/orbi which is causing internet outages when dnsmasq fails to respond to DNS queries.

Message 5 of 14
elbrento
Initiate

I'm having this same issue.  I'm on the latest firmware (2.7.2.104), and the issue started last week.  Every few hours DNS stops working, so I telnet in and see something like this at the bottom of /tmp/dnsmasq.log:

Mar 24 18:12:23 dnsmasq[30353]: overflow: 1 log entries lost

I run "/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart" and that fixes it, but it's obviously a pain to do that repeatedly.  I'm debating adding that command to the crontab so that it auto restarts every hour or so.

I forget when I upgraded to the current firmware, but it definitely wasn't last week as I was out of town when the issues started occuring.

Message 6 of 14
mini4mw
Guide

Even you wanted to script from cron, you'd still have to enable telnet periodically as it turns off automatically for me at some time frame.

I wish I found this log before I downgraded so I could compare.  I have a decent number of IOT and other systems in the house.  When I grep through the dnsmasq log there are a large number of queries going on per minute.  I wonder if on the newer code if something causing too many dns queries and Orbi can't handle it?

Sample log entries per minute in dnsmasq.log

root@Orbi-Base:~# grep -c 19:33 dnsmasq.log
root@Orbi-Base:~# grep -c 19:34 dnsmasq.log
root@Orbi-Base:~# grep -c 19:35 dnsmasq.log
root@Orbi-Base:~# grep -c 19:36 dnsmasq.log
root@Orbi-Base:~# grep -c 19:37 dnsmasq.log
root@Orbi-Base:~# grep -c 19:38 dnsmasq.log
root@Orbi-Base:~# grep -c 19:39 dnsmasq.log
root@Orbi-Base:~#

Message 7 of 14
elbrento
Initiate

Based on this Reddit thread, I disabled the traffic meter feature.  So far, no loss of dns functionality after 10 hours of uptime.  Which is very encouraging -- I had been having to reset dnsmasq every few hours.

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/m5l3vk/orbi_dropping_dns/

Message 8 of 14
mini4mw
Guide

based on same thread and update from reddit;

i upgraded again to 2.6.2.104.  Within 4 hours I had two more DNS outages.  Same as before, DNS lookups to orbi router timing out.  Log into router via telnet, reload the config (I'm not sure if dnsmasq was dead, just started documenting pid after last outage) and it started working again.  On the 3rd outage I turned DST off (Advanced->administration->NTP->uncheck DST).  I reloaded dnsmasq again (no reboots) and so far I've been good for 4 hours.  Hopefully this fixes the issue.  1 hour off doesn't matter too much to me.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 14
vajim
Master

@elbrento wrote:

Based on this Reddit thread, I disabled the traffic meter feature.  So far, no loss of dns functionality after 10 hours of uptime.  Which is very encouraging -- I had been having to reset dnsmasq every few hours.

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/m5l3vk/orbi_dropping_dns/

wow

netgears firmware failures are famous 

Message 11 of 14
Tralfazus
Aspirant

What is the status of a fix for the Orbi DNS/DST failure?

Once a workaround was announced, there has been dead air as far as I can tell.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You can ask for a beta:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2074343/highlight/tru...

@Tralfazus wrote:

Message 13 of 14
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can ask for a beta:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2074343/highlight/tru...

@Tralfazus wrote:

If you do ask how much they pay 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7