× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

dropping wired connections constantly

Tdig27
Aspirant

dropping wired connections constantly

My Orbi RBR20 system worked great for over a year. Just recently, it seems it loses the wired connection every few minutes. I have a netgear cm1000 router into the Orbi router with the other port feeding a 16 port unmanaged switch (gs316). Only one of the satellites is connected, and it is backhauled through the switch.

This system worked flawlessly for over a year. Now, the satellite will not connect via the backhaul, and the wired devices that are connected to the switch are unstable and lose their connection to the internet every 2-5 minutes. Meanwhile, the wireless continues to work flawlessly, even for data intensive tasks such as online gaming.

I’ve replaced the switch (which it seems was problematic), checked all cables, ensure the firmware is up to date, and conducted numerous factory resets to no avail.

I am by no means well educated in this stuff, but I’m at a loss to figure out what happened here. Any help would be much appreciated!
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: dropping wired connections constantly

Take the RBS to the same room as the RBR, use a ethernet patch cable. Wirelessly connect the RBS to the RBR first. Once it's connected and BLUE appears on the top of the RBS, connect the ethernet cable to the RBR. Check the RBRs web page for status on the connection. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 2 of 7
Tdig27
Aspirant

Sorry- I should have been more clear.  The connection between the RBR and the RBS is stable, whether wired or wireless.  The other devices that are connected to to the switch are losing their connection to the internet.  

Firmware on the RBR and RBS is 2.5.1.16.  

It seems as though the router is the issue.  I temporarily swapped it out for an old wireless-g router I had kicking around to make determine whether it could have been modem or ISP related and all connections are stable. 

Message 3 of 7
Tdig27
Aspirant

I re-read the post and understand why you asked.  Here is the additional clarity I missed in the original post:

The backhauled RBS remains connected to the RBR, that connection is ok.  However, it is NOT connected to the internet.  So, if a device is connected to the network via that satellite, it will not have an internet connection.  Any wireless devices connected to the RBR directly, have a stable connection and experience no issues, even when the wired devices are losing their connection.  For example, as I type this on a computer that is hardwired, it has continuously dropped and reconnected while the Sonos One while someone in the room next to me is gaming without any issues via the wireless connection. 

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting up IP address Reservations for your devices...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

Message 5 of 7
Tdig27
Aspirant

Yes, I did do a factory reset and set the stystem up from scatch after ensuring the RBR and RBS had the most recent firmware.  I will try th IP address recommendations and let you know results.  Thank you!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements