Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: how can disabled 2.4Ghz in RBR50?

vrvrsloworbi
Aspirant

how can disabled 2.4Ghz in RBR50?

My Wi-Fi is ridiculously slow when use RBR50's 2.4GHz -  Average 20~10Mbps. even try right next to it.

but when it's connected to 5GHz - Average 560~500Mbps

so I want to disabled 2.4GHz in RBR50, what should I do for it?

Model     : RBR50

firmware : 2.7.3.22

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

My phone exhibits a similar behavior.  When I arrive home, the first WiFi signal it encounters is the satellite in the garage.It seems that the instant that signal is strong enough to recognize, the phone connects at 2.4G.  After I enter the house, sometimes I notice that it remains connected at 2.4G for longer than I would expect, and then it switches to 5G by itself.

If I turn off WiFi and then turn WiFi back on again, it immediately connects at 5G.

I sincerely wish that Netgear had provided more options for handling the WiFi radios and naming the SSIDs, because this issue is easily the most common question on the forum and users are never happy with the situation.  But, they didn't and show no indication of changing.  My understanding is that other popular mesh WiFi systems have the same setup, and probably the same complaints.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

There is no method for disabling either WiFi frequency.  Cannot be done.

The device decides which WiFi frequency to connect with.

What sort of device is capable of 5G WiFi but instead chooses to connect to 2.4G with such a slow speed?

Message 2 of 5
vrvrsloworbi
Aspirant

thank you for reply

when keep trying to connect to the same place at the same time.

my cell phone randomly connects 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

There is a much higher probability of connecting to 2.4GHz but I don't know what the reason is for that choice.

I want to separate at least SSID...

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

You can't separate them out either. 

Your phone is the one that actual chooses based off its own protocol. 

Some devices you can go in and set them to prefer 5ghz. Might check into that on your phone. 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

My phone exhibits a similar behavior.  When I arrive home, the first WiFi signal it encounters is the satellite in the garage.It seems that the instant that signal is strong enough to recognize, the phone connects at 2.4G.  After I enter the house, sometimes I notice that it remains connected at 2.4G for longer than I would expect, and then it switches to 5G by itself.

If I turn off WiFi and then turn WiFi back on again, it immediately connects at 5G.

I sincerely wish that Netgear had provided more options for handling the WiFi radios and naming the SSIDs, because this issue is easily the most common question on the forum and users are never happy with the situation.  But, they didn't and show no indication of changing.  My understanding is that other popular mesh WiFi systems have the same setup, and probably the same complaints.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7