Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

looking for decibel requirements for backhaul

Dawsson46
Aspirant

looking for decibel requirements for backhaul

New Amazon Fire system is bouncing between good and fair signal strength to the Orbi Satellite.  The reading is between -50 to -60.  The backhaul appears to be the same strength with no interference.  Debating on putting an RBS 50 behind the TV and hardware it (along with Apple TV and Roku).  I'd have to throw a cheap UPS because the Ring would attach to this satellite.  

This was easier to diagnose with the SSIDs separated.  Wish there was a way to test using an old 7800 as a bridge, but there is no accessing the backhaul.  Hate to spend $215 if this works like crap.  BTW, there are a lot of Zigbee devices (and 4 arlo cameras), so I'm not thrilled to use 2.4 band. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: looking for decibel requirements for backhaul

What is the sq ft size of the home?

What is the distance between the Orbi router and satelilite. 30-40 feet min. to begin with. Depending on building materials.

It's not recommended to put any wireless AP devices behind TVs or near other electronic equipment as this could cause interference problems.

Message 2 of 6
Dawsson46
Aspirant

The distance from the new satellite to the other satellite would be less than 20 feet through a floor diagonally. Its the purple moisture control plasterboard with skim coat. Normal distance floor joist. The router is about 12 feet from the existing satellite through 2 walls. This is a split level 3400 square ft, but no level is bigger than 760 square feet. The router and satellite are in the center of the overall house.

Ive put 7800s, Asus and 2 new EX8000 behind TVs without a ptoblem because the primary focus is getting ethernet to the tv. No one likes any wires showing but they want DTV Now to work. Would use powerline but code required arc fault/ GFCI breakers.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats too close for the Orbi system. The router can cover a good range up to 30 feet to begin with. Mine setting at 40 feet away. Great coverage, range and performance. 5000sq ft home. Opposite end placement.

How about the satellite down on the floor behind the TV or TV stand/cabinet?

I have a simiar set up however satellite is office, next room over is DISH Joey wired to a wireless bridge that sits high on top of the tv cabinet.

Message 4 of 6
Dawsson46
Aspirant

The 2 walls between the router are sheetrock/plaster so any further apart the original satellite turns amber.

The plan is to mount the 2nd satellite behind the tv then hardwire all devices, but I'd like to guarantee that the daisy-chained. backhaul is enough signal. It would be purple gypsum between the original satellite and the new satellite. This is more porous than sheetrock so the signals don't decline as rapidly
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sounds like your on the edge of single range then. I would mount the satellite Up as far as possible though. Ensure there is good ventilation. 

I presume you'll need to test this out when you get it set up and see how it goes. Try the satelliite first with out Daisy Chain then try it with it enabled...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7