Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

my orbi rbr 50 connection drop fix

rabbit2016
Follower

my orbi rbr 50 connection drop fix

firmware got auto updated to .44. over the weekend, i have constant internet drop issues. before that i dont have any issue since i bought it four months ago. i think i was on .210, dont know why it skipped a few, so that could be the issue i guess. 

saw the config sync issues as well, webpage not showing the right connection status

i reset a few times, but that didnt help. so i read a few articles here and here are what i did:

download the firmware and manually update the firmware, even though it said i have the most updated version

set my 2g to 4 and 5g to 36 based on my mac wifi signal scan (4 and 36 have the strongest signal)

reserved ip for all my devinces, i saw constant reconnection, so i decided to do that 

recync my time under NTP setting 

disabled 20/40 conexistence, daisy chain, beanforming, mu-mimo, and fast roaming (i actually tried to turm each one on and test them, but the drop came back, so i gave up)

router mode, no access control, no vpn, no dns change, didnt change router location / direction

i set my region to the US even though i am in hong kong

no sepration of SSID. i tried that but i kept getting error message. so i gave up. i had that in my previous firmware

so far i dont see my devices keep reconnecting, and the system is up for almost two days without a single drop. the only thing i saw in the log is the random DDOS port scan, probably every five minutes, i kinda ingore that for now. 

this may not work for everyone but so far so good for me. good luck. 

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: my orbi rbr 50 connection drop fix

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. Channel 4 is not a primary channel to use. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What devices do you have connected? 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@rabbit2016 wrote:

I set my region to the US even though i am in hong kong

There may be differences in how radio frequencies are controlled.  From what I have found, Hong Kong allows 2.4G channels 12 and 13 to be used, whereas the US does not.  My guess is not being able to use channels 12 and 13 will not adversely impact you.  The 5G channel availability appears to be the same.  This is the table Google found for me:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specification...

(Yes, it is from Juniper Networks, but "frequencies and frequencies" no matter who makes the WiFi equipment.)

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@rabbit2016 wrote:

firmware got auto updated to .44. over the weekend, i have constant internet drop issues. before that i dont have any issue since i bought it four months ago. i think i was on .210, dont know why it skipped a few, so that could be the issue i guess. 

saw the config sync issues as well, webpage not showing the right connection status

i reset a few times, but that didnt help. so i read a few articles here and here are what i did:

download the firmware and manually update the firmware, even though it said i have the most updated version

set my 2g to 4 and 5g to 36 based on my mac wifi signal scan (4 and 36 have the strongest signal)

reserved ip for all my devinces, i saw constant reconnection, so i decided to do that 

recync my time under NTP setting 

disabled 20/40 conexistence, daisy chain, beanforming, mu-mimo, and fast roaming (i actually tried to turm each one on and test them, but the drop came back, so i gave up)

router mode, no access control, no vpn, no dns change, didnt change router location / direction

i set my region to the US even though i am in hong kong

no sepration of SSID. i tried that but i kept getting error message. so i gave up. i had that in my previous firmware

so far i dont see my devices keep reconnecting, and the system is up for almost two days without a single drop. the only thing i saw in the log is the random DDOS port scan, probably every five minutes, i kinda ingore that for now. 

this may not work for everyone but so far so good for me. good luck. 

Message 4 of 7

Hi all,

I can confirm the internet connection gets dropped occasionally.

I do have an ORBI RBR50 on Software 2.3.1

Hardwareversion    RBR50

Firmwareversion    V2.3.1.44

GUI Sprachversion    V1.0.0.354

This occured right after the update from 2.2.* to the current software.

Within the Orbi Logs I ca see DDOS attacks, which may force the router to drop the connection for safty reasons but if this was true, I would consider this as a software bug/malfunction.

Only solution is to unplug the internet cable that is attached at the modem and plug it back in.

-> This behaviour has to be resolved by Netgear, since they did not test ORBI software 2.3.1. with DDOS attacks and what Orbi then would do.

Cheers,

from Hamburg, Germany

CBG

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@cannonballgray wrote:

Within the Orbi Logs I ca see DDOS attacks, which may force the router to drop the connection for safty reasons but if this was true, I would consider this as a software bug/malfunction.

DDOS attacks are a "fact of life".  They happen to every internet connected device, every day.  When Orbi places something in the log file, that means that (a) the Orbi detected it, and (b) it was rejected.  Orbi will not drop the wide area connection in response to an "attack" that it recognizes.  My Orbi logs record attacks every day, and my connection never drops.  If the internet connection is dropping, something else is causing it.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

T

ry disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

@cannonballgray wrote:

Hi all,

I can confirm the internet connection gets dropped occasionally.

I do have an ORBI RBR50 on Software 2.3.1

Hardwareversion    RBR50

Firmwareversion    V2.3.1.44

GUI Sprachversion    V1.0.0.354

This occured right after the update from 2.2.* to the current software.

Only solution is to unplug the internet cable that is attached at the modem and plug it back in.

-> This behaviour has to be resolved by Netgear, since they did not test ORBI software 2.3.1. with DDOS attacks and what Orbi then would do.

Cheers,

from Hamburg, Germany

CBG

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7