Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

networked scanner can't scan to email after Orbi install

jtaylor67
Tutor

networked scanner can't scan to email after Orbi install

I have a network scanner that can scan to email.  Since I installed my new Orbi router the scanner can't send to email anymore.  The error log shows it can no longer find the SMTP server.  The Orbi setup was very straight forward and I didn't turn on any filtering.  If I put my old router back in place everything works correctly.  I really want to keep the Orbi.  Any idea what the problem might be? 

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: networked scanner can't scan to email after Orbi install

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

How is the scanner connected to the Orbi? At the satellite or base router?

Has the scanner been reset and set up from scratch with it's networking?

Message 2 of 7
jtaylor67
Tutor

Sorry for the delay.

Firmware is 2.1.4.16.

modem is technicolor, model DPC3216 through Spectrum

scanner is connected to the Orbi directly with an Ethernet cable.  Not connected to the satellite.

We have reset all the scanner IP information, including allowing it to pull DHCP info from the Orbi with the same results.  Weird thing is that the crazy thing starts working when I put the old router back in place.  I don't see anything in the Orbi setup that would cause this.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What IP address pool string are you using on the Orbi ruoter? 192.168.1.###? What is the old router using for it's IP address pool string?

Message 4 of 7
jtaylor67
Tutor

Both the Orbi and the old router are both using 192.168.1.xxx IP scheme.  Orbi gives a primary DNS of 192.168.1.1 (Orbi) but no secondary.  We programmed secondary of 8.8.8.8 to make sure there is DNS resolution to the outside world for it to send email.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You can set a primary DNS as well, try 1.1.1.1.

I presume even if this fails, something between the Orbi and scanner is not working right.

@Christian_R

Message 6 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jtaylor67 - Please provide us an update when you can and let us know if your issue persists. 

~Christian 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7