Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

new Orbi user

jasmit28
Follower

new Orbi user

Hello. I recently switched my internet service provider to Comcast Xfinity.  I decided to purchase my own equipment instead of renting their router/modem combo.  I purchased an Arris SB8200 to use as my modem and I purchased the Orbi AC3000/ RBK50 from best buy to use as the router.  My home is about 3000 sq foot and I have the main Orbi base wired to the Arris modem on the main level of my house and the satelite upstairs.  I have had nothing but issues since setting up my equipment.  I have both the comcast app and the orbi app installed on my iphone.  Sometimes the modem will go offline ( i do not suspect this is an issue with the Orbi), other times when I log into the ORbi app is says wifi isnt detected.  Sometimes the internet speed is excellent and we dont have any issues, other times in the same day we are buffering or not working at all and our download speeds on the Orbi app are registering below 10 MBPS! I cannot figure out the problem. I am really hoping there is a simple fix.  I will add that we don't have any outrageous number of devices connected.  We have the usual two iphones, a couple laptops, a few streaming devices, some security cameras, and Alexa devices.  

Does anyone know anything that could be the issue?  Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
vajim
Master

Re: new Orbi user

@jasmit28 wrote:

Hello. I recently switched my internet service provider to Comcast Xfinity.  I decided to purchase my own equipment instead of renting their router/modem combo.  I purchased an Arris SB8200 to use as my modem and I purchased the Orbi AC3000/ RBK50 from best buy to use as the router.  My home is about 3000 sq foot and I have the main Orbi base wired to the Arris modem on the main level of my house and the satelite upstairs.  I have had nothing but issues since setting up my equipment.  I have both the comcast app and the orbi app installed on my iphone.  Sometimes the modem will go offline ( i do not suspect this is an issue with the Orbi), other times when I log into the ORbi app is says wifi isnt detected.  Sometimes the internet speed is excellent and we dont have any issues, other times in the same day we are buffering or not working at all and our download speeds on the Orbi app are registering below 10 MBPS! I cannot figure out the problem. I am really hoping there is a simple fix.  I will add that we don't have any outrageous number of devices connected.  We have the usual two iphones, a couple laptops, a few streaming devices, some security cameras, and Alexa devices.  

Does anyone know anything that could be the issue?  Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

I don't use the app and there is a separate forum for app users.  

It sounds like you might want to start by trouble shooting the modem and why is it going off line.  Call your ISP?

The placement of the router and sat is critical.  I offer this:

https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@jasmit28 wrote:

Message 3 of 4
vajim
Master

I don't use the app and there is a separate forum for app users.  

It sounds like you might want to start by trouble shooting the modem and why is it going off line.  Call your ISP?

The placement of the router and sat is critical.  I offer this:

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7