Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: orbi RBK50 not connecting to iPad pro

jomcc58
Follower

orbi RBK50 not connecting to iPad pro

Ipad pro is not connecting to Orbi RBK 50

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Advanced Wireless Settings both 2.4GHz and 5GHz changed CTS/RTS Threshold to 2307.

Message 2 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@jomcc58 wrote:

iPad pro is not connecting to Orbi RBK 50

A little more description would be helpful.  Things like:

• On the iPad network settings, does the Orbi WiFi appear on the list of available networks?
  • (in my opinion) the iPad keyboard is frustrating when entering CAPITAL letters, lower case letters, and numerals.
    Is it really clear that the password is being entered correctly?
  • Are any other Apple devices connecting to the Orbi WiFi?
  • Does this Orbi have "Access Control" enabled?
    (On the Orbi web interface, Attached Devices, just under the blue line it will say "Access Control ("on" or "off")
Message 3 of 21
tucsontico
Virtuoso

What version of iOS are you running? The most recent iOS (14.x) has a mode which "hides" the true MAC number from a router. This is designed to prevent open (non-secure) WiFi systems from allowing access to you iPad/iPhone. Be certain, when you're at home, this mode is turned off. Go to your iPad settings and select Settings>WiFi>Network Info>Private Address>Off. With this mode on (which is the default), some systems will not allow iPads or iPhones to consistenly connect to WiFi. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

Good Luck!

Message 4 of 21
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@jomcc58 wrote:

Message 6 of 21
Bubba2020
Aspirant

Same issue here after upgrading to the latest firmware. Powering off the satellite fixes the issue. Sucks that two year old software is better than current. 

Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-RBK50-not-connecting-to-iPad-pro/m-p/2030409/highlight/tr...

@Bubba2020 wrote:

Same issue here after upgrading to the latest firmware. Powering off the satellite fixes the issue. Sucks that two year old software is better than current. 

Message 8 of 21
Bubba2020
Aspirant

Nah, downgraded to 2.3, all issues cleared up, including latency issues on older devices. 

Message 9 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Any updates or progress on this? 

@jomcc58 wrote:

Message 10 of 21
vajim
Master

@Bubba2020 wrote:

Did you say 'firmware'?

Message 11 of 21
Bubba2020
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

@Bubba2020 wrote:

Did you say 'firmware'?

Yes, why?

Message 12 of 21
vajim
Master

@Bubba2020 wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@Bubba2020 wrote:

Did you say 'firmware'?

Yes, why?

Yet no one seems to believe it could be the firmware 

Message 13 of 21
Artfuldodger73
Aspirant

I’m on firmware 3.2.18.1. What are the steps that you took to downgrade? My iPhone and iPad can connect to the router, but zero internet. I have to turn off the WiFi on my device and then turn back on. Or I just leave it on my 5G settings.

None of the other Apple devices (MacBooks, homepods, AppleTV, etc) have this specific issue. What a pain for such a great (and expensive) router. I’m considering selling it (return period over) and going to a different mesh system.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@Artfuldodger73 wrote:
I’m on firmware 3.2.18.1. What are the steps that you took to downgrade? My iPhone and iPad can connect to the router, but zero internet. I have to turn off the WiFi on my device and then turn back on. Or I just leave it on my 5G settings.

None of the other Apple devices (MacBooks, homepods, AppleTV, etc) have this specific issue. What a pain for such a great (and expensive) router. I’m considering selling it (return period over) and going to a different mesh system.

Message 15 of 21
Bubba2020
Aspirant

I downloaded the old firmware and downgraded via the router web interface.

This did not solve the problem, I ended up having to mothball the satellite.
I agree that it sucks, but is Netgear or Apple the responsible party here? I don’t know.
Message 16 of 21
Artfuldodger73
Aspirant

I tried a solution yesterday, which seems to be working. Let's see how it lasts. 

Steps:

1. Login to you 192.168.1.1 to access your admin panel
  2. Click on Advanced tab
  3. Expand the Advanced sub-menu
  4. Click on Wireless Settings
  5. Change the CTS/RTS Threshold Preamble Modes - 2.4Ghz Preamble from Auto to Short and 5Ghz from Auto to Long.
  6. Apply changes.

Let's see how long this lasts. I haven't had to disable/enable my iDevice wifi since then. Image is attached.

Orbi AX6000 RBK850 

Firmware V3.2.18_1.4.14

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 11.01.35 AM.png

Message 17 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:

Thank you.

@Artfuldodger73 wrote:

I tried a solution yesterday, which seems to be working. Let's see how it lasts. 

Steps:

1. Login to you 192.168.1.1 to access your admin panel
  2. Click on Advanced tab
  3. Expand the Advanced sub-menu
  4. Click on Wireless Settings
  5. Change the CTS/RTS Threshold Preamble Modes - 2.4Ghz Preamble from Auto to Short and 5Ghz from Auto to Long.
  6. Apply changes.

Let's see how long this lasts. I haven't had to disable/enable my iDevice wifi since then. Image is attached.

Orbi AX6000 RBK850 

Firmware V3.2.18_1.4.14

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 11.01.35 AM.png

Message 18 of 21
Bubba2020
Aspirant

Cool, please do let us know how it turns out!

Message 19 of 21
Artfuldodger73
Aspirant

It seemed to work for quite a while, but then the old issues reappeared. It's annoying that I spent  many hundreds of dollars for the router plus 3 satellites and have to dive in extremely deep into troubleshooting. I am in IT and am pretty savvy. IDK how a normal lay person could deal with this. I had many guests over during Memorial Day weekend that also experiences the same problem with their iDevices, Again, I can't tell if it's Orbi or iDevices or combination of both. I will unfortunately need to  try a different product/brand (and do research on this issue with the brand!).

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend that you make a new post over in the Orbi AX forum as the Orbi AC systems differ from Orbi AX:

We can give you more sugggestion to try and see if they will help you with your problem. 

@Artfuldodger73 wrote:

It seemed to work for quite a while, but then the old issues reappeared. It's annoying that I spent  many hundreds of dollars for the router plus 3 satellites and have to dive in extremely deep into troubleshooting. I am in IT and am pretty savvy. IDK how a normal lay person could deal with this. I had many guests over during Memorial Day weekend that also experiences the same problem with their iDevices, Again, I can't tell if it's Orbi or iDevices or combination of both. I will unfortunately need to  try a different product/brand (and do research on this issue with the brand!).

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7