Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi satellite to satellite connection

TedsNotHere
Aspirant

orbi satellite to satellite connection

Hello, My question is with the Orbi satellites and their connection with eachother and the router.  I'm wondering if the satallites get a signal from eachother or just the router. 

This is my current configruation  R -> S1 -> S2 (router on one side of house and S1 one the other side of house with a second satellite upstairs on same side as S1.  The S2 always displays orange because it has synced but only has a fair connection.  The connection between R & S1 has a wired backhaul so connection is good.  

I really need S2 to have a good wireless connection so wondering if I need to reconfigure like so:  S1 - > R -> S2 

Thanks!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: orbi satellite to satellite connection

There is no difference in radio strength between the router and satellite (regulated by FCC), so exchanging those devices may not result in improvement.

What happens if Sat2 is temporarily located in the same room as Sat1?

Does it get a "blue light"?

It might be worth a minute to check that "Daisy Chain" is enabled (it was by default on my Orbi).

That is on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings, about 2/3 of the way down the page.

It also might be worthwhile to move Sat2 around a bit upstairs.  I once changed a backhaul link dramatically when it moved out of the "shadow" of a brick chimney that I did not realize was running from the ancient (abandoned) coal furnace in the basement up through the roof.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: orbi satellite to satellite connection

What Firmware version is currently loaded? FW same on all Orbi devices? 
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@TedsNotHere wrote:

Hello, My question is with the Orbi satellites and their connection with eachother and the router.  I'm wondering if the satallites get a signal from eachother or just the router. 

This is my current configruation  R -> S1 -> S2 (router on one side of house and S1 one the other side of house with a second satellite upstairs on same side as S1.  The S2 always displays orange because it has synced but only has a fair connection.  The connection between R & S1 has a wired backhaul so connection is good.  

I really need S2 to have a good wireless connection so wondering if I need to reconfigure like so:  S1 - > R -> S2 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7