Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: possibility of using ORBI as an AP to utilize my share drive on netgear on r6400

kb8man
Aspirant

possibility of using ORBI as an AP to utilize my share drive on netgear on r6400

Hi all had a cloud drive set up on my old router AC1750 (R6400)

Was wondering if I set up orbi 50 as an AP and turned off the wifi on the r6400 if my cloud drive would work? Also, If it can work how will it affect the speed or coverage of the orbi. 

So far the orbi has increased coverage and speed tremendously but I really need the cloud drive as I am a photographer and I back up field shots to the drive.

Suggestions on whether this will work or if it will cut down coverage or speed.... by using the r6400 as the router and letting orbi run wifi  and coverage.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: possibility of using ORBI as an AP to utilize my share drive on netgear on r6400

@kb8man wrote:

Hi all had a cloud drive set up on my old router AC1750 (R6400)

Was wondering if I set up orbi 50 as an AP and turned off the wifi on the r6400 if my cloud drive would work? Also, If it can work how will it affect the speed or coverage of the orbi. 

So far the orbi has increased coverage and speed tremendously but I really need the cloud drive as I am a photographer and I back up field shots to the drive.

Suggestions on whether this will work or if it will cut down coverage or speed.... by using the r6400 as the router and letting orbi run wifi  and coverage.

Orbi is designed to work in two modes, Router Mode or AP Mode.  You won't lose any speed/performance/coverage with AP Mode.  Your cloud drive will continue to work as is because it's not affected by AP mode.

Think of it this way, you're just swapping r6400 wireless with Orbi wireless to gain wider coverage and therefore speed with Orbi backhaul.  My setup is similar to yours, except my old router is an Asus router - check my sig below.

Yes, your proposed AP setup will be a simple plug-n-play and is ideal for your use case!

Here is an example of my Orbi AP config:

Static IP AP Mode.png

Message 2 of 4
kb8man
Aspirant

To do this do I need to reset the settings on the old R6400 to default? 

I am not sure how to accomplish this. Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@kb8man wrote:

To do this do I need to reset the settings on the old R6400 to default? 

I am not sure how to accomplish this. Thank you.

No reset required.

Assuming R6400 was working normally prior to Orbi, here are some general steps:

1. Swtich Orbi to AP Mode, save the change, and turn Orbi off
  2. Unplug the Orbi from the current modem
  3. Turn off the modem
  4. Plug R6400 WAN port into the modem
  5. Turn on modem and wait for it to settle down
  6. Turn on R6400 and wait for it to settle down
  7. Turn off WiFi/wireless radio for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz on R6400, save the change
  8. Connect the Orbi yellow WAN port to one of the LAN ports on R6400
  9. Turn on Orbi and wait for it to settle down

Once Orbi is up and running in AP mode, you can make other changes to Orbi such as assigning a static IP address to Orbi if you want.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7