Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "Solved" Cable to shop wasn't needed 100ft away; but having Port open issues with came

Kavorka
Aspirant

"Solved" Cable to shop wasn't needed 100ft away; but having Port open issues with camera 2 Cloud

My original thread has been "solved" but I wanted to add to it. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Cat5or6-cable-to-shop-100ft-away-from-router-Can-I-add-a-secon... 

I was going to bury a cable, etc, etc you can see from my previous thread. However, it wasn't even needed; which is AWESOME. It saved a lot of time and money. My Orbi RBR850 - Wifi 6 connected and has worked perfectly with it's Satelite which is a solid 90 to 100 feet away. The shop with the Satelite is 60 x 40 with two floors. Internet within the shop has worked almost flawlessly. Guys are streaming music while working while I'm listening to videos on youtube, etc,etc. No problem. Fast. Anyone looking for a solution to a garage, or shop, or whatever that needs internet, I highly recommend the Orbi.

However, the security company can't seem to get the single camera we need to upload to the cloud to work. It's been several months and visits now. The security company dvr/system has a direct connection to the Satelite. After a few visits they thought the internet companies modem was acting like a router as well. We called the internet company. They turned off all the wifi from the modem which I can see when I go to 192.168.0.1. They also claimed to have opened, or they were already open, the ports we needed open for the security company. They are ports 554, 80 and 37777. Still no luck. I just thought I'd check here to see if anyone new of any similar issue that requires us to do something to the Orbi to unblock those ports? Thanks.

Message 1 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: "Solved" Cable to shop wasn't needed 100ft away; but having Port open issues with came

@Kavorka wrote:

However, the security company can't seem to get the single camera we need to upload to the cloud to work. It's been several months and visits now. The security company dvr/system has a direct connection to the Satelite. After a few visits they thought the internet companies modem was acting like a router as well. We called the internet company. They turned off all the wifi from the modem which I can see when I go to 192.168.0.1. They also claimed to have opened, or they were already open, the ports we needed open for the security company. They are ports 554, 80 and 37777. Still no luck. I just thought I'd check here to see if anyone new of any similar issue that requires us to do something to the Orbi to unblock those ports? Thanks.

From the description, the ISP device is indeed a router.  This can be verified by checking the WAN IP address of the Orbi router.  If the Orbi WAN address is a private IP address (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network ) such as 192.168.0.x, that indicates that the ISP device is  a router which has created a private LAN space, reserving 192.168.0.1 for itself as the gateway and giving devices connected to it (such as the Orbi router) addresses that begin with 192.168.0

There may be a terminology issue with regard to "upload to the cloud".What it sounds like is this camera is connected to a Network Video Recorder (NVR) installed on your LAN and the goal is to reach that video recorder from the internet, which typically requires ports to be forwarded through the router to the NVR system.  For example, a $30 Wyze camera (or basically any cheap camera) automatically opens a path to the vendor cloud and stores videos there.  Smartphone apps use that connection that has been established by the camera to perform "Live View" and look at videos that are stored on the camera SD Card.  If you've never purchased a Wyze3 camera, you'll be amazed.  I use mine to watch for possums who come by almost every night.

Message 2 of 17
Kavorka
Aspirant

Yes. It's just not working for whatever reason. The ISP Modem wifi is turned off, etc, etc. The security company has done 1000's of these. We don't know why it isn't working.

Message 3 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

I'm probably not being clear.  The ISP WiFi has nothing to do with the ISP router function. What you want is for the ISP to put their device into "bridge" or "passthrough" mode.

Message 4 of 17
Kavorka
Aspirant

Okay. Thank you and thank you for being "clear." I'm not well versed on these things. I will try requesting that.

Message 5 of 17
Kavorka
Aspirant

I was able to talk to the ISP and have them fix the modem so I could log in. The shared key wasn't working so neither I or the security tech guy could log in on their previous visits. As soon as I was in there was a "bridge mode" enable or disable widget on the home page. I hit enable like you suggested. The guy reading from the ISP playbook said they don't suggest it, but he didn't know why. Anyway, I'm hoping this will be the "fix." I will report back. As usual, thank you for your help.

Message 6 of 17
Kavorka
Aspirant

The Modem did say that my router may need to be reconnected to the Modem for it to work properly. Should I just unplug it from the Modem and plug it back in? Or do I need to unplug it, turn the Orbi off, turn it back on, and then plug it back in?

Message 7 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kavorka wrote:

Or do I need to unplug it, turn the Orbi off, turn it back on, and then plug it back in?

Sound like the most reasonable.

Message 8 of 17
Kavorka
Aspirant

I'm now in a nightmare. I've been working on this all day. I am now waiting on the phone for Netgear tech support for 40 minutes. I've been on the phone with my ISP several times. The modem is working. The router on the modem is turned off. The modem is "bridge" enabled. However, ever since I uplugged and plugged back in my Orbi it will not connect to the internet. On my phone using my Orbi app, I was getting a green light for the Satelite but a red light for the Orbi router. It says error. I unpowered and repowered it only to get the flashing megenta when plugged back into the Modem. I then did a hard reset. It goes solid white. I plug it into the Modem and it stays solid white. Can anyone help?

Message 9 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

One does not want to think ill of ISP tech support.  Is there a computer with an ethernet jack that can be connected directly to the ISP modem? That would allow you to verify that the "modem is working" in bridge mode.  i.e. the computer should get the public IP address that the ISP has assigned to your account.

Another question: does your ISP require you to log in with a user name and password?

Message 10 of 17
Kavorka
Aspirant

Oh no, I think ill of ISP tech support; especially when they're using a playbook and a language barrier. 

I don't have a computer with just an ethernet.

I did get through to Netgear tech support after a lenghty wait. We then spent over an hour, maybe two working on it. They had me changing DNS, mac addresses, etc. They seemed to think there wasn't any internet coming through or a blockage in the Modem. I hooked up my old netgear modem, and it couldn't get internet either. So, it has to be something with the ISP, using the bridge... their modem and system. When I did talk to a "better" ISP rep earlier in the day, it showed signal was coming to the house or modem; which makes sense. After talking with Netgear, I called back the ISP but could only get a low level tech. They tried a few things but no luck. They're sending out a technician in person tomorrow, but I'm not sure that's going to help.

Yes, my ISP requires me to log on with a user name and password. That is how I was able to cofirm the router in the modem was turned off to not block the orbi (per the security company) and I was able to click on a widget that "enabled" a "bridge." When I first enabled the bridge, the internet still worked, but the security camera still wasn't reaching the cloud/or showing necessary ports open < that the ISP says are always open. Only after I unplugged the orbi to power of it and the modem to avoid NAT conflict did everything stop working. I'm going on 10 hours working on this.

I was thinking... if the problem is their modem, confirgurations and not being able to get a compentent person at TDS (they own my local ISP company), would getting a nice Netgear Modem before they arrive tomorrow possibly solve the ISP modem blocking my Orbi? I could give the tech a chance to fix it but have a Netgear router ready just in case. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Using my phone for internet which is hit or miss depending on the time of day.

Message 11 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry I'm late responding.  The reason I asked about User Name and Password in regard to the ISP is that there are two entirely different sorts of internet service:

• One is based on DHCP, where the router sends out a DHCP request and is told the IP, subnet mask, etc. to use.
  • The other (PPPoE) requires a user name and password.

My Spectrum cable internet is the DHCP type. Have no idea what your TDS service is.

Also have no idea which modems are compatible with TDS.

Message 12 of 17
Kavorka
Aspirant

Oh, no worries. Thanks for the help.

I have no idea on the DHCP or PPPoE. The person I talked with from Netgear. yesterady seemed really competent. She was changing some or that stuff in the advanced settings.

My Modem is an Arris TG3452 I know it costs me money, but woudln't getting a Netgear modem solve all my issues? As long as internet signal is coming into the house, which it was flawlessly for 90+ days since we set up the Orbi, wouldn't a Netgear modem solve my issues? I wouldn't have the ISP modem acting like a router that needs to be turned off and needs the bridge, etc, etc.

Message 13 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kavorka wrote:

wouldn't a Netgear modem solve my issues? I wouldn't have the ISP modem acting like a router that needs to be turned off and needs the bridge, etc, etc.

Well...... That depends.  Each ISP has a list of supported modems.  A customer can provide their own modem, reduce the monthly charge, and become totally responsible for repair if the modem breaks, but the modem has to be approved by the ISP.

If this is the correct company (TDS)

https://tdstelecom.com  I searched their web site and could not find a reference to which modems they support.

Do you have telephone service through TDS.  (I do through Spectrum.)  If so, the modem has to support phone service.

As an example, this is what Spectrum shows for Allowed Equipment:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-spectrum-network  I was hoping to find something similar on the TDS web site.

Message 14 of 17
Kavorka
Aspirant

I talked with my local TDS rep. They said DOCSIS 3.1 with a minimum of 16 downstream and 4 upstream. I buuying one. I have until January to return it. I'll update what happens tonight when then tech arrives. Thanks again.

Message 15 of 17
costler
Tutor

about that nice new Netgear modem.  I learned the hard way.  The password cannot have any special characters in it.  when I set up my new Netgear Router I had a # in the password, it refused to work.  I think I found this tidbit in this community

Message 16 of 17
Kavorka
Aspirant

Thank you. I'll remember that, but I may never need to use it, lol. The Netgear Modem, CM1200, immediately solved all issues. It linked with Orbi no problem and in a matter of minutes the security company comfirmed the cameras were up. I didn't have to log into the modem or do anything. The tech who came to the house said to me after explaining this has going on for weeks with a ton of hours (10 yesterday) working on this, "I had the same ISP modem as you (Arris TG3452), and I spent two weeks on my personal time trying to bridge the modem. I couldn't do it. I have the exact same setup as you now (netgear modem with Orbi)." I'm so glad I went to Bestbuy to buy that Netgear modem today. I'm also very grateful for all the help and advice I've gotten here. I hope my previouse thread and this one helps out someone else. The Modem may have cost $200, but I save $10 a month from the ISP. Also, if the power went out or something, their modem would've reset to factory, turned their router back on, diabled the bridge, etc,etc. Besides saving money up front, I don't know why anyone wouldn't just use their own modem.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7