Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: shared network directories aren't accessible

GillesL
Aspirant

shared network directories aren't accessible

Hi Everyone,

Installed a new RBK50 mesh wifi system and so far I'm loving it.

The only issue I'm having is with shared network directories that I could access between PC's.  Since installing the Orbi, I can't see these anymore.  When I open the file explorer on my PC, I don't see the other computers on my home network.

I'm assuming it's a setting within the Orbi's configuration, as this issue has occured with PC's on both Windows 7 and 10 as well as an Android TV box.

thanks in advance for your tips and advice.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@GillesL wrote:

The only issue I'm having is with shared network directories that I could access between PC's.  Since installing the Orbi, I can't see these anymore.  When I open the file explorer on my PC, I don't see the other computers on my home network.

I'm assuming it's a setting within the Orbi's configuration, as this issue has occured with PC's on both Windows 7 and 10 as well as an Android TV box.

If these devices are connected to the Orbi Guest WiFi, then allowing them to "see each other" is indeed a setting.

If they are connected to the regular Orbi WiFi, they should communicate as before.

They ARE connected to the Orbi, correct?  (Not to an ISP device that the Orbi is connected to?)

Message 2 of 3
GillesL
Aspirant

Yes, everything is connected to the "regular" (not guest) network.

It turns out that when I replaced my previous router with my Orbi, while I kept the same network name and password so all devices would continue to connect to it, my Windows7 PC, from which I play videos on other devices, recognized the change and made the new network public and turned off all file sharing and other permissions that were previously allowed.

Now is all well and working smoothly.  I love my Orbi, best purchase I've made in a while.

Thanks for your help in getting this solved.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7