Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

update user name for my Orbi RBR40

sjh01
Aspirant

update user name for my Orbi RBR40

My HP 7855 printer will not connect to my desktop's wifi network because my neighbor's network has the same network user name (admin). After running a network diagnostic I received a message saying that that the printer might connect to their network, and I should change the user name. Along with that the diagnostics showed that "wireless on" and "wireless working" were both disabled which I'm assumming, perhaps incorrectly, were related to that issue.

Logging into Netgear using 192.168.1.1 the only option available is to change the password but not the user name, so how do I change user name? 

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: update user name for my Orbi RBR40

I would wire connect a PC to your RBR in back then log into the RBRs web page using a web browser at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.net

If your nieghbor is using same SSID name then I would change the SSID name on yours to be something different so you  don't get the two systems confused. Can be someting unique and or fun. You can keep same password that you used before. 

Message 2 of 5
sjh01
Aspirant

Furrye38;

Thank you for your response.  That partially worked; however when i got to the point of changing the name of my sim card, which currently is the factory setting admin, the only option provided is to change the password.  There is no option to change the name.  Where do I go to that?

Also, being new to the forum, I must confess that I find that using it is very confusing, and haven't been able to locate any instructions on using it.  I did figure out how to ask a question, but responding to answers eludes me.  The paragraph above was submitted previously but I haven't discovered what happened to it.  Thanks...

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't believe you can change the admin name to something else. 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@sjh01 wrote:

My HP 7855 printer will not connect to my desktop's wifi network because my neighbor's network has the same network user name (admin). After running a network diagnostic I received a message saying that that the printer might connect to their network, and I should change the user name. Along with that the diagnostics showed that "wireless on" and "wireless working" were both disabled which I'm assumming, perhaps incorrectly, were related to that issue.

Logging into Netgear using 192.168.1.1 the only option available is to change the password but not the user name, so how do I change user name? 

@FURRYe38 is correct.  The administrative web access credentials user name of "admin" cannot be changed.  This is true of all Netgear residential routers and many other products.  Only the web access password can be changed.

However, this has no bearing on WiFi connections.  WiFi uses the WiFi "name" (SSID) and password.  I cannot imagine that the two of you named your WiFi SSID's "admin".

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7