Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: updated my RBR50 to firmware 2.5.0.38 satellites do not appear online

Stev3D
Luminary

@FURRYe38, I agree that sometimes a factory reset is the only thing left to try -- but I maintain that it should be the option of last resort.

You wrote:

>One reason I don't see alot of or any of these odd issues like some of you is that I ALWAYS factory reset after a FW update and setup from scratch.

I don't think you can assert that as fact, only supposition.  For the nearly two dozen routers that I have owned, used, or set up for members of my extended family, I have not needed to do a factory reset (except once, a while ago on this Orbi) -- going back to the early days of Wi-Fi (ca. 2000).

The fact that you always do a factory reset (along with your being listed as the most active on these community pages) is a testiment to your being "into it" far more than is typical of Netgear's customers.  You do them to be extra careful, and becuase it isn't burdensome to you -- but I don't think you can state with any certainty that your absense of problems is directly (or indirectly) related to doing them any more than my next-door neibhbor's lack of having a auto breakdown is due to his rebuilding his car's engine every spring.  I don't have breakdowns either (I just do routine maintence).  But he sure loves to do that rebuild!

I have enormous respect for your networking dilligence, and the support you provide to this community (in contrast to what I often see from Netgear itself -- they should pay you), but I don't think a factory reset should be the go-to solution.

BTW, my Orbi Satellite seems to have righted itself overnight without intervention (or need for a reset) -- so perhaps people (like me) weren't waiting long enough (this update may just take time for the software to rebuld access lists, work out routes, etc.).

Message 26 of 39
Stev3D
Luminary

I had a similar issue last night with my Satellite after updating, and posted about it.  I was prepared to do a reset of my Satellite, but overnight something changed, and it seems to be working just fine.

I have two hypothesis for what happened: (1) The Orbi Router got the update, and the Satellite didn't show up as functional until the Router fed the Satellite its update, and they completed some kind of handshake, and (2) the update causes a rebuld of the client device database, and that takes longer than we might expect.

So, my advice would be to power-cycle the Satellite, and just wait a few hours.

Message 27 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes and I agree. As I have said before, that the reset is a last resort and should be performed for those users who have seen or now suddenly appears to see odd problems after a FW update. After troubleshooting has been performed, like power cycles and giving the system time to settle in, if these have been exhausted, then at least a factory reset is needed as a "last resort". I can't stress this enough as sometimes I see users give up in frustration, which I DO understand, and revert back to prior working FW with out giving the reset and setup from scratch a chance. It's a valid troubleshooting process and it also helps NG know if even if a reset doesn't resolve this, then NG needs to look closer into this or there maybe something else causing problems. The reset is just a troubleshooting step that needs to be validated so the users can either determine the problem continues or doesn't and then we can direct them to NG support if the problem still continues. We can only do so much here the forums. 

I know that for NG router products over the years they have seems to always support FW upgraded with out having to do anything of nothing at all after it's completed. I presume they are still following this procees and we have seen posters make posts about there FW updates, automatic or manual have gone with out a hitch and with out a need of a reset. So we know that for the most part, the FW update process as it's inteded seems to work. For those that it doesn't, the systems needs to be vetted out and trouble shot with these users to find out the problem and again, which as a "last resort" needs to be factory reset and setup from scratch to see if this resolves anything or not. I've seen post already since v38 has been released that the users with problems after the FW update, a reset has resolved there problems and there able to enjoy the system back up and running again. 

We are here to help users as best as we can and with all the tools available, which includes this factory reset. I'm not trying to shove this in everyone face. However again, it's something that needs to be done for those experiencing problems with there systems. Asking about if it's been done just give us an idea if the user has attempted this or not and what all has been done in the troubleshooting process. Gives us some direction on where we need to go with users with problems. 

Given that over time, and history and development of router products, that ya stability of routers has probably given priority to quality back then. I've seen over the past as well with NG and other router Mfrs that quality seems to have taken a back seat to other business practices. There are many factors I presume in all this router business. Things seem to change over the years and what we are used to in prior history has changed some in current today business. What seem to have worked and been the norm back then may not be the same as today. I know that everyone has been used to and does expect that doing FW updates should not impact current operation of any router. However, I feel we are falible and not perfect and thus there can and will be some problems introduced as we progress in technology and thus we see some odd issues. So though we want it all to work right like it did before, we need to be a bit more flexible when trying to figure out why it doesn't work anymore or help others try to get them working after problems arise and best as we can and as quickly as possible for these users that see this odd problems after a FW update. 

Message 28 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

With Orbi, seems anything could be possible or plausable. I have seen it where Orbi seems to take sometime to get settled in and seems to work and be seen as expected. Sometimes patience is all thats needed. I catch myself not waiting long enough for RBS to get connected when I'm testing wireless vs wired. I hate having to wait 5 minutes. LOL. 

@Stev3D wrote:

I had a similar issue last night with my Satellite after updating, and posted about it.  I was prepared to do a reset of my Satellite, but overnight something changed, and it seems to be working just fine.

I have two hypothesis for what happened: (1) The Orbi Router got the update, and the Satellite didn't show up as functional until the Router fed the Satellite its update, and they completed some kind of handshake, and (2) the update causes a rebuld of the client device database, and that takes longer than we might expect.

So, my advice would be to power-cycle the Satellite, and just wait a few hours.

Message 29 of 39
rtparies
Guide

So an update.....
On the weekend decieded to bite the bullet and do a factory reset...

hours later........ restoring all my port forwards and assigned ips.   The router now shows connected devices.
the router now shows my two sateliites.
in the app when i looked at connected deviced on each router i see devices..
But wireless performance is AWFUL. If i am 20 feet away from the main floor sateliite, i get very week wireless signal.
my wireless keeps disconnecting and says there is no internet even thought all mysateliites are wired.
Does anyone have suggestions on other mesh systems that have support and actually work?
i am about ready to dump these are try something new

Message 30 of 39
Kams
Star

I had to revert back to the last fw

this is after factory reset. 

To answer your question, I tried Linksys before, it worked smoothly. I just didnt like the limited options like no VPN, and some other minor things which can be let go. The basic model was under $200, but coverage was OK. their new model should have better coverage.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 31 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

The file capture is my iphone wireless connected to my RBS thats wire connected to the RBR. 

@rtparies wrote:

So an update.....
On the weekend decieded to bite the bullet and do a factory reset...

hours later........ restoring all my port forwards and assigned ips.   The router now shows connected devices.
the router now shows my two sateliites.
in the app when i looked at connected deviced on each router i see devices..
But wireless performance is AWFUL. If i am 20 feet away from the main floor sateliite, i get very week wireless signal.
my wireless keeps disconnecting and says there is no internet even thought all mysateliites are wired.
Does anyone have suggestions on other mesh systems that have support and actually work?
i am about ready to dump these are try something new

Message 32 of 39
Asuslow
Aspirant

Latest firmware sucks
Orbi has 90 day free service after that they want to charge you a fee .
Real poor customer service.
Resent contact the only advise was a link on how to roll back firmware.
Didn’t work .
Contacted them on Facebook. Got a reply for more information.
I provided it and went dead .
Message 33 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Mines working great on v40. Try v34? 

@Asuslow wrote:
Latest firmware sucks
Orbi has 90 day free service after that they want to charge you a fee .
Real poor customer service.
Resent contact the only advise was a link on how to roll back firmware.
Didn’t work .
Contacted them on Facebook. Got a reply for more information.
I provided it and went dead .

Message 34 of 39
Retired_Member
Not applicable

More grasping for straws.   Just get rid of .38 and your be fine.  

Message 35 of 39
Asuslow
Aspirant

HI

The hose is 2350sq ft.

RBR to RBS 30 to 35 ft.

BRB to RBS50y 10 feet

2.4ghz channel 6

5 ghz channel 48

Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO didnt work system slowed to a crawl.

I was able to down grade the firmware on the RBS an RBSy to the same version .

Now the RBR and RBS are at 2.5.0.38 .

The RBSY is2.3.5.30.

The wired connection to my modem test great on the Orbi app.

As far as the wirles to a computer or my Iphone 7 plus is very inconsistant.

Need help

Armor is expired . Never subscribed to Circle.

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming are all dissabled.

IPv6 is disabled .

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 36 of 39
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Here's your problem:

"Now the RBR and RBS are at 2.5.0.38 .

The RBSY is2.3.5.30."

In most cases the Orbi router and Sats should be on the same firmware versions.

Lots of problems with 2.5.0.38 .............do a search

Message 37 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

"BRB to RBS50y 10 feet" - This is too close. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Is daisy chain enabled? Should be disabled unless your wanting the RBSY to piggy back off the RBS or vs versa. 

Beamforming should enabled. 

@Asuslow wrote:

HI

The hose is 2350sq ft.

RBR to RBS 30 to 35 ft.

BRB to RBS50y 10 feet

2.4ghz channel 6

5 ghz channel 48

Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO didnt work system slowed to a crawl.

I was able to down grade the firmware on the RBS an RBSy to the same version .

Now the RBR and RBS are at 2.5.0.38 .

The RBSY is2.3.5.30.

The wired connection to my modem test great on the Orbi app.

As far as the wirles to a computer or my Iphone 7 plus is very inconsistant.

Need help

Armor is expired . Never subscribed to Circle.

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming are all dissabled.

IPv6 is disabled .

Thanks

Message 38 of 39
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

"BRB to RBS50y 10 feet" - This is too close. 

Distance won't matter with bad firmware.

Message 39 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7