Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: using apple Remote Desktop with orbi and satellites

gelliott1
Aspirant

using apple Remote Desktop with orbi and satellites

hi thre, can anybody tell me how I enable apple remote desktop on an orbi ? I see in my remote desktop window (apple software) that for screen sharing port 5900 is greyed out, and remote management 3283 is greyed out. Both macs are running latest Mojave, different networks. Can anybody talk me through the steps to enable this so it works? Im not really familiar with port forwarding so as much detail as possible would be really helpful thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? There a built in router here by chance? 

I would also start to review this aswell:

https://help.apple.com/remotedesktop/mac/3.9/

Message 2 of 19
gelliott1
Aspirant

the latest firmware is laoded....i ipdated it yesterday...

there is no ISP router, its gets a wan straight from the wifi antenna on the top of my house that goes to a nearby farm. I can coinnect with screen sharing but prefer to use Apple Remote Desktop

Message 3 of 19
ekhalil
Master

Message 4 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking to see if there was a router infront of the Orbi router already. Your fine here. 

Please try the suggestion provided by @ekhalil 

@gelliott1 wrote:

the latest firmware is laoded....i ipdated it yesterday...

there is no ISP router, its gets a wan straight from the wifi antenna on the top of my house that goes to a nearby farm. I can coinnect with screen sharing but prefer to use Apple Remote Desktop

Message 5 of 19
gelliott1
Aspirant

what does this mean from the link you sent please?

Specify the desired external port number
("External port range"),

Message 6 of 19
gelliott1
Aspirant

also do i need to fix the IP address of the target system? I reserved it but still shows as the old one in the attached devices list

Message 7 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@gelliott1 wrote:

what does this mean from the link you sent please?

Specify the desired external port number
("External port range"),

This is the port that the remote computer (outside Orbi) will use to access the computer inside the Orbi network. This is the port that you need to forward in Orbi.

Message 8 of 19
gelliott1
Aspirant

would that be the number recommended in apple remote desktop application then? what the difference between that and this:

the internal port number ("Internal port
range", presumably 3389)

Message 9 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@gelliott1 wrote:

also do i need to fix the IP address of the target system? I reserved it but still shows as the old one in the attached devices list

Yes, you need to use a static IP address or a reserved DHCP IP address for the target computer.

How did you reserve the IP address? After you reserve an IP address in Orbi you need to force the computer to renew it's IP address (e.g by rebooting it).

Message 10 of 19
gelliott1
Aspirant

@ekhalil wrote:

@gelliott1 wrote:

Yes, you need to use a static IP address or a reserved DHCP IP address for the target computer.

How did you reserve the IP address? After you reserve an IP address in Orbi you need to force the computer to renew it's IP address (e.g by rebooting it).

will do that now

Message 11 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@gelliott1 wrote:

would that be the number recommended in apple remote desktop application then? what the difference between that and this:

the internal port number ("Internal port
range", presumably 3389)

There are two ports involved. The one used for the target computer which is the 3389 you mentioned here. The other one is the port that the outside computer will use which can be either the same as the one used by the target computer, or -for better security- a different one.

Message 12 of 19
gelliott1
Aspirant

ok done all that and still unable to verify the target (i.e. connect)

Message 13 of 19
gelliott1
Aspirant

just trying pinging it and I can ping the target mac....does that mean anything?

Message 14 of 19
ekhalil
Master

@gelliott1 wrote:

just trying pinging it and I can ping the target mac....does that mean anything?

You can ping it from outside the Orbi LAN?

Message 15 of 19
gelliott1
Aspirant

yes , Im in malta, and pinging back to a UK IP address, and ping reply, but RD program wont connect

Message 16 of 19
ekhalil
Master

Are you able to connect to the computer from another comuter on the same network?

Message 17 of 19
gelliott1
Aspirant

will have to try tomorrow wife has gone to bed!

Message 18 of 19
ekhalil
Master

I'm also going to bed. Good night! 😄

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements