Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

which Orbi set should I use? (distance >100ft)

djgert
Aspirant

which Orbi set should I use? (distance >100ft)

hello!

I am replacing my wifi system and considering to use Orbi!

I have a shed where I want to have a satelite. It is 100ft away from my base. and a wall between. I suppose this will not work well.

I have a LAN cable from my base to the shed.

How can I use Orbi to have the satelite in the shed working? 

Thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: which Orbi set should I use? (distance >100ft)

I think you should be able to use the same SSID as Orbi.  The roaming might not be as seamless as between Orbi router and satellite, but your devices should switch when you go out to the shed.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Probably best to use a simple wireless access point in the shed and connect it via wire back to the house.  Maybe you can set your old router to AP mode and move it out to the shed. Lower the WIFi output power so it doesn't interfere with the house WiFi.

Message 2 of 4
djgert
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback.

If I use my old router (Apple Extreme) as new Access Point in the shed, connecting it over a wired connection, could I use the same SID as the one I use with the new Orbi?

Message 3 of 4
st_shaw
Master

I think you should be able to use the same SSID as Orbi.  The roaming might not be as seamless as between Orbi router and satellite, but your devices should switch when you go out to the shed.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7