Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2 RBR850 in one mesh

PeterJGVDP
Guide

2 RBR850 in one mesh

Hello,

I have recently purchased a wifi6 ORBI RBK852 mesh set, and I’m now able to purchase another RBK852 set from a friend and i was wondering if it is possible to combine these two sets, so there will be two RBR850 in one mesh (everything is connected Ethernet backhaul).

Is this possible to have two routers in one mesh where both routers and both satellites will function in AP modes, since i have an interned modem from my provider KPN?

Kind regards,

Peter

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 2 RBR850 in one mesh

No. The 2nd RBR in AP mode will not be included or integrate in the 1st RBRs mesh system. Will be a separate wifi signal though using same SSID name and PW and different channels. 

Also recommend turning down the power output of the 2nd RBR wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Helps limit the noise and some interferences between the 2nd RBR and 1st orbi system signals. Use far appart channels between each RBR as well. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The 2nd RBR you can use in AP mode however will not be appart of the 1st RBRs MESH or integrate into it. It will be it's own separate wifi signal. 

Message 2 of 5
ekhalil
Master

You can use the second RBR by setting it in AP Mode.
The second router can have the same SSID as the main router but make sure to use different radio channels for the two bands in the two networks and that both have the same pass phrase.
Since in such setup you only have one main router whose NAT function will assign a port number and remember the clients details for a returning packet. Packets will therefore not be lost if the client device changes its WiFi connection to the other router as NAT information is held in the tables of only one main router.
Message 3 of 5
PeterJGVDP
Guide

So, in this setup it's possible that both RBR850's and both RBS850's will function in one mesh, all in AP mode (with the described correct settings)?
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

No. The 2nd RBR in AP mode will not be included or integrate in the 1st RBRs mesh system. Will be a separate wifi signal though using same SSID name and PW and different channels. 

Also recommend turning down the power output of the 2nd RBR wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Helps limit the noise and some interferences between the 2nd RBR and 1st orbi system signals. Use far appart channels between each RBR as well. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7