Reply

AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)

vajim
Master

AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)

Anyone move from the AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) to the ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)..??

 

Worth it?

Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Re: AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)

I went from RBK53 to an Arris AX110000 mesh. Maybe someday I'll buy a RBK850 system to test but not yet. 

Worth it? not really.

I'm on a gigabit connection in about 3200sqft. Also, my 4k TV's, my server (x2), and my primary pc are all hardwired into my network. So there's a load off the wireless network.

I don't really notice a difference in performance. Its only when I'm doing peak performance testing and using an AX device that I can see a difference. 

For the vast majority of the time, no, I don't think so. The RBK53 was a pretty solid system and provided 200mbps+ anywhere in my home. That's more than enough for the wireless devices. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 13
Mstrbig
Master

Re: AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)


@vajim wrote:

Anyone move from the AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) to the ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)..??

 

Worth it?


I personally moved from an RBK53 system to an RBK753 system. I find it well worth it for AX local connections only. But for Internet you will only get what your ISP is offering. You and will see minimal speed increase and no better performance viewing web pages. For example my RBK53 system would give me 508 to 524Mbps on my 500Mbps plan. Now I get 525 to 565Mbps depending on the day of the week. Based on our RBK852 and 853 installs, the performance is the same, hence why I went with the RBK753 system.

WIFI connection speed to the Otbi router and satellites increased from an average of 550 to 650Mbps to 75 to 875Mbps, but did not improve any performance, except locally.

With that said, if you run a full in house server system, like I do, there are benefits to upgrading. If you are looking for better ISP performance, it goes back to your plan, the ISP modem used and average speed of your ISP's system. My ISP modem is an Arris SB8200. When I had my RBK753 system and a GB plan, it gave me every bit of what my ISP offered. Switching to the RBK753 system gave me no more performance. 

Orbi RBK53 System/RBR50/RBS50/RBS50. + Orbi Voice RBS40V
RBK753 system/RBR750/RBS750/RBS750 + RBK853 System/RBR850/RBS850/RBS850
SXK80 — Orbi Pro AX6000 WiFi 6 Tri-Band WiFi System
There's always a logical answer, if you have all the facts!
Message 3 of 13
JohnyBeGood
Aspirant

Re: AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)

I just upgraded my RBK52 to an RBK852. Everything was the same. Same location for the satellite and the router. Both the 52 and 852 are in AP mode. My router is a Verizon G1100. I upgraded because I have 20 - 30 wifi devices depending on time of day and which devices are running (washer/dryer/Generac). I live in a townhouse community. The wifi is crowded. I have 10 wifi security cameras. Some are dual band; some are single 2.4 Ghz bands. Three cams are inside so only are running from dawn to dusk. I was attracted to the RBK852 since it could handle upwards of 60 to 100 wifi devices. It was based on wifi 6 chip set, with must more throughput and more antennas.
The RBK52 worked well most times. Occasionally, some cameras would drop (no signal) and I attributed that to increased wifi activity in my neighborhood. I decided to purchase the RBK852 to set up for the future with wifi 6 cams and other devices. The install went well. Since I already had the RBK52 in place I just needed to set up the RBK852 the same way, including the SSID/PW. Since the change I have a huge increase in the number of camera drops. I need to do more research as to why this is happening. I am surprised this is happening. The new satellite is the source of most of the drops. (Note: a drop to me is a loss of signal/connection. The connection is reestablished quickly, but the loss is noticeable. All my cams record 24/7 on Blueiris and they FTP to send pics when motion triggers an alarm. The RBK52 handled this. The RBK852 struggles with certain cameras. None of the cams have moved. I did not expect this. I am running the latest firmware (V3.2.16.22_1.4.9). More research from me.

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...


@JohnyBeGood wrote:

I just upgraded my RBK52 to an RBK852. Everything was the same. Same location for the satellite and the router. Both the 52 and 852 are in AP mode. My router is a Verizon G1100. I upgraded because I have 20 - 30 wifi devices depending on time of day and which devices are running (washer/dryer/Generac). I live in a townhouse community. The wifi is crowded. I have 10 wifi security cameras. Some are dual band; some are single 2.4 Ghz bands. Three cams are inside so only are running from dawn to dusk. I was attracted to the RBK852 since it could handle upwards of 60 to 100 wifi devices. It was based on wifi 6 chip set, with must more throughput and more antennas.
The RBK52 worked well most times. Occasionally, some cameras would drop (no signal) and I attributed that to increased wifi activity in my neighborhood. I decided to purchase the RBK852 to set up for the future with wifi 6 cams and other devices. The install went well. Since I already had the RBK52 in place I just needed to set up the RBK852 the same way, including the SSID/PW. Since the change I have a huge increase in the number of camera drops. I need to do more research as to why this is happening. I am surprised this is happening. The new satellite is the source of most of the drops. (Note: a drop to me is a loss of signal/connection. The connection is reestablished quickly, but the loss is noticeable. All my cams record 24/7 on Blueiris and they FTP to send pics when motion triggers an alarm. The RBK52 handled this. The RBK852 struggles with certain cameras. None of the cams have moved. I did not expect this. I am running the latest firmware (V3.2.16.22_1.4.9). More research from me.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)> RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 5 of 13
vajim
Master

Re: AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)


@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...


 

Are you pushing firmware updates AGAIN??

 

Only looking for actual experiences from those who moved from the regular Orbi to the WIFI-6 version.


 


 

Message 6 of 13
JohnyBeGood
Aspirant

Re: AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)

I'm not pushing anything. And, I am relating my recent experience with upgrading from the RBK50 to the RBK850. It is not going well.

Thanks

Message 7 of 13
vajim
Master

Re: AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)


@JohnyBeGood wrote:

I'm not pushing anything. And, I am relating my recent experience with upgrading from the RBK50 to the RBK850. It is not going well.

Thanks


My comment wasn't intended for you.  It was intended for my know-it-all friend mr furiator.  Perhaps the way this old string has been revived that was a bad idea on part.  

 

I appreciate your comments 

 

thank you 

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor. Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).


You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

 

Im running v12 FW and not having any problems. Manually downlaoded and manually installed. Works for me. 


@JohnyBeGood wrote:

I just upgraded my RBK52 to an RBK852. Everything was the same. Same location for the satellite and the router. Both the 52 and 852 are in AP mode. My router is a Verizon G1100. I upgraded because I have 20 - 30 wifi devices depending on time of day and which devices are running (washer/dryer/Generac). I live in a townhouse community. The wifi is crowded. I have 10 wifi security cameras. Some are dual band; some are single 2.4 Ghz bands. Three cams are inside so only are running from dawn to dusk. I was attracted to the RBK852 since it could handle upwards of 60 to 100 wifi devices. It was based on wifi 6 chip set, with must more throughput and more antennas.
The RBK52 worked well most times. Occasionally, some cameras would drop (no signal) and I attributed that to increased wifi activity in my neighborhood. I decided to purchase the RBK852 to set up for the future with wifi 6 cams and other devices. The install went well. Since I already had the RBK52 in place I just needed to set up the RBK852 the same way, including the SSID/PW. Since the change I have a huge increase in the number of camera drops. I need to do more research as to why this is happening. I am surprised this is happening. The new satellite is the source of most of the drops. (Note: a drop to me is a loss of signal/connection. The connection is reestablished quickly, but the loss is noticeable. All my cams record 24/7 on Blueiris and they FTP to send pics when motion triggers an alarm. The RBK52 handled this. The RBK852 struggles with certain cameras. None of the cams have moved. I did not expect this. I am running the latest firmware (V3.2.16.22_1.4.9). More research from me.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)> RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 9 of 13
JohnyBeGood
Aspirant

Re: AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)

Thanks for the help! I will check into it. Friday night I switched back to the RBK52. Since both systems are setup exactly the same it is easy to do. I am gathering stats from both systems. Note: I am using NetSurveyor to monitor the wifi signals. The RBK852 backhaul signal is  rated as excellent and the Orbi app says it is good. I believe the issue is more the devices connecting to the satellite and to the router. Both systems are setup in "AP Mode" and the Verizon router has both wifi bands disabled. My RBK52 has been running successfully now for nearly three years. I will check out the faq you mentioned.

 

BTW, should I open a new discussion for this? I chose this one because I wanted to relate what I am experiencing upgrading from RBK52 to RBK852.

 

Again, many thanks!

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)

Ok, let us know. I would open a new post if your system doesn't seem to work and then we can troubleshoot it there. 


@JohnyBeGood wrote:

Thanks for the help! I will check into it. Friday night I switched back to the RBK52. Since both systems are setup exactly the same it is easy to do. I am gathering stats from both systems. Note: I am using NetSurveyor to monitor the wifi signals. The RBK852 backhaul signal is  rated as excellent and the Orbi app says it is good. I believe the issue is more the devices connecting to the satellite and to the router. Both systems are setup in "AP Mode" and the Verizon router has both wifi bands disabled. My RBK52 has been running successfully now for nearly three years. I will check out the faq you mentioned.

 

BTW, should I open a new discussion for this? I chose this one because I wanted to relate what I am experiencing upgrading from RBK52 to RBK852.

 

Again, many thanks!




My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)> RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 11 of 13
Mstrbig
Master

Re: AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)

@JohnyBeGood Here are a few suggestions to try:

First make sure you are on the same WIFI channels as you were on your RBK53 system.

Second check your settings and make sure they are the same for the available settings on the 853 system.

Third I suggest using IP address reservation for all stationary devices, such as cameras, PCs, laptops, Thermostats, Printers, etc.

After doing so reboot all devices, so they get the proper IP address, as any device running that has an IP address, you specified for a different device, will not release the IP address until a reboot is performed. I had the same problem with my cameras, TVs, printers and thermostats losing connections. Once I setup IP address reservation, all issues are gone. Even rebooting the Orbi system is smooth. The only things I did not assign an IP address to are cellphones and tablets. 

 

 

 

 

Orbi RBK53 System/RBR50/RBS50/RBS50. + Orbi Voice RBS40V
RBK753 system/RBR750/RBS750/RBS750 + RBK853 System/RBR850/RBS850/RBS850
SXK80 — Orbi Pro AX6000 WiFi 6 Tri-Band WiFi System
There's always a logical answer, if you have all the facts!
Message 12 of 13
JohnyBeGood
Aspirant

Re: AC3000 mesh wifi system (rbk50) vs ax6000 wifi mesh system (rbk852)

Okay, I started a new discussion at "Upgrade from RBK52 to RBK852: Many more "no signal"/connectivity issues". I added more details.

Thanks

Johnny

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1624 views
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E