Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX 4200 satellite poor wifi

Hari_kb
Aspirant

AX 4200 satellite poor wifi

I set up Orbi  router plus 2 satellite AX4200 system in my home 3000 sq ft, 2 story.

the satellites are placed in different rooms but about 20 linear feet away.  I have a gig fiberoptic zipfly connection, I tried wired speed test.  I get 950 mb down and 950mb up in router, but only 250mb down and 350 mb in both satellites.  When I try wifi, i get roughly 150 to 180 mb down right next to both satellites.  That seems very poor for this system. I am a newbee, so any help will be appreciated.

thanks

Hari.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What devices are you using to speed test with? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Wifi speeds depend on connection rate, MIMO antenna support and OFDMA which Orbi AX doesn't support from what I was told. 

Most phones and pads are 2x2 MIMO antenna design and max out at anywhere from 300-500Mpbs on wifi. 

Connection rate depends on the connection support by the device and the host wifi router. AC rates max out at 1733Mpbs and AX is 2400Mbps on 5Ghz, Depending on support and design of the host router.  https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

I've seen my iphone 12 max get around 500-700mpbs. My Mac Book pro 2018 has seen 700Mpbs with Orbi AX. Using a non NG orbi mesh system, I've seen my iphone get around 900Mpbs however that system supports OFDMA. 

Message 2 of 4
Hari_kb
Aspirant

thanks for your response. I use my samsung laptop and my iphone max to check.  On both, I got around 500 mb while I am next to the router.  but about 300 when I am next to the satellites. I just upgraded my service to zipfly gig.  their model is integrated inthe setup in my garage.  I will check it and also will re-position my router based on the recommendation from your link. 

The speed once stabililzed has improved form 150 to 300 already.  I am happy with these numbers for my need, once I do minor tweaks, I think I should bump it up. Will play around this weekend and will update.

thanks again for your response.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation