Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX4200 Router and Satellite - Wifi Devices lose connection for short periods of time

astainback
Apprentice

AX4200 Router and Satellite - Wifi Devices lose connection for short periods of time

AX4200 Router and Satellite - Wifi Devices lose connection for short periods of time

Firmware : 3.2.16.22_1.4.9

I got this recently.
So far, the performance is great.

My Nighthawk kept losing a radio and I would have to reset it.  Sometimes 2.4 would go down, most recently, the 5Ghz would quit.  Most devices had both radios configured, so it was not the end of the world but for the 2.4 devices, it was not good.

The device that has the issue the most is my daughter's tablet.  She usually notices it first then I can pull up my phone and see that it has dropped wifi and gone to LTE.  Usually, before I can figure out what is going on, it comes back up and runs fine.
I am getting really frustrated considering I just sunk $450 for the router/satellite combo.  

I also bought the prosafe 8 port and 5 port switches for the devices that can get off of wifi.  

I have not noticed the internet dropping at all for anything wired.  

I don't know if it is an issue with devices getting confused between the router and satellite, or if the satellite connection is the issue?  Most of our phones and multimedia devices use the satellite.  The backhaul status says good on the admin page.  I am at a loss as to what is going on.  Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AX4200 Router and Satellite - Wifi Devices lose connection for short periods of time

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Set CTS to 2347. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).  

Message 2 of 25
astainback
Apprentice

I forgot to add what I have tried so far.

I set the 2.4g channel to 11.

I have also tried setting the radios to 50%.

Lowering the power helped with the TV issue.  I have a wireless HDMI setup to send signal from my audio receiver to my TV.  It also seems to be messing with my Roku remote some.

The house : 1500 sq ft. on top of 1500 sq ft finished basement.  Router is in basement, satellite on main floor.  Probably 35 - 40 ft apart and through a floor.

I already disabled armor.

I am a little frustrated that crazy tweaking and testing over and over might be required to make an expensive plug and play setup to function properly in the most basic way.

I am not really interested in walking a line to make something like this work just right.
I am really looking to see if this is normal, of if I got a dud.  I hate to say, but I might consider returning and going a different route.  I really wanted a triband mesh, but this is getting frustrating.

Message 3 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

Understand. Sometimes thes MESH systems are a bit more of a hassle to figure out. So from my experiences and others, there is a reason why we ask these questions. 

Message 4 of 25
astainback
Apprentice

Thanks Furry.

I am going to call support today and let them take a swing at it.

Message 5 of 25
astainback
Apprentice

Called support.

They walked me through manually updating firmware.  Went from 3.2.16 (see first post for rest of version number) to 3.2.17.12_1.4.14.  The router did not see this automatically for some reason.  
I just pushed the satellite firmware update as well, so I guess we will see now what happens.

Message 6 of 25
Mikey94025
Hero

@astainback wrote:

Called support.

They walked me through manually updating firmware.  Went from 3.2.16 (see first post for rest of version number) to 3.2.17.12_1.4.14.  The router did not see this automatically for some reason.  
I just pushed the satellite firmware update as well, so I guess we will see now what happens.

If you still have issues with the latest firmware, do try changing this one earlier recommendation.  I find it works well to improve wireless compatibility with older devices:

•  Set CTS to 2347. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.
Message 7 of 25
astainback
Apprentice

I am trying to learn more about this : 

Armor, Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Set CTS to 2347. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).  

I disabled Armor a while back.
I have googled and read up on the coexistence and CTS.  Not sure about preamble stuff yet.  Does this make the connections better?

Message 8 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. Also try the suggested CTS change. 

@astainback wrote:

Called support.

Message 9 of 25
astainback
Apprentice

Thanks Furry.  I will.

I did change CTS to 2347.

I also cranked it back up to 100% signal.  

Message 10 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. 

Message 11 of 25
astainback
Apprentice

Well, we were not problem free today.  Daughter's Chromebook had a hiccup, then a little later, the tablet and phones lost connection.  I think there were three wifi drop issues.  
I swear, it seems like something is cycling.  The satellite did not light up as if it lost connection and regained it.  I think I saw it do that once.  I am at a loss here.
I have not change the 20/40 setting yet, or the preamble.  What is the recommendation for that one?  It is auto now.  Short or Long, and out of curiousity, what does that do?  I read that long is for older devices, but not sure what it means.  The tablet is not that old and the phones are from the past year and 1/2.

Message 12 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Try these settings:

1. Uncheck "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence" 

And for both 2.4 and 5Ghz set

1. CTS: 256
  2. Preamble mode: Short

Also try disabling AX mode on the RBR as well. 

Message 13 of 25
astainback
Apprentice

Done.
I got this pop up message when I cut off AX mode : 

Per Wi-Fi Alliance guidelines for 40 Mhz and 20 Mhz coexistence, even if you select "Up to 400Mbps" mode, your product's service rate might drop to 20 Mhz. This typically corresponds to 200 Mbps performance.

Message 14 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if this still continues...

Message 15 of 25
astainback
Apprentice

I am another couple of steps closer to returning this thing.  I am getting ready to do a complete reset.

I think it is the satellite, but I am not 100% sure.  My wife and daughter lost connection closer to the satellite and I did not.. and I am pretty sure i was connected straight to the router.

I am resetting it, moving the satellite a little closer to the router, and then see how it goes. 

After making all of the changes, video buffers like crazy, and we never have that issue.
I pay for a 500 down and can speedtest for over 400 during peak hours.  ( I live in a fairly rural area, so I don't have to fight as hard for bandwith)
If this thing can't function properly on stock settings without having to tweak everything, I am sending it back.  

I spread the settings out as much as possible because I would like to know what "fixed" it.  If you take the shotgun approach, you never know what the root cause was.  So, back to stock, satellite in new location.. if it fails, it goes.

Furry, regardless of what it does, THANK YOU.

I don't know if you work for Netgear, but if you do, you need a raise.  If you don't, they need you. 

Their support couldn't handle calling me back after he asked me to upgrade the firmware.  It wouldn't be an issue, but he said he would call in 10 minutes after it all came back up.  Terrible way to keep people happy.

Message 16 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

One quick test to try as well. Turn OFF the RBS and let everything connect to the RBR. See if the problem still happens. 

If you feel the system just isn't working right, return it. 

Message 17 of 25
astainback
Apprentice

According to my wife and daughter, the wifi connection has been stable over the past couple of days.  
I am not sure if the reset "fixed" it, or the fact that I moved the satellte even further away.  
I really was starting to think the issue is the router and satellite signals being strong and close together.. and the devices losing connection going from router to satellite, or 2.4ghz to 5 ghz, or a combo of both.  I vote for a combo.  Ha!
I am still running the signal at 100%.  I really wish I could set the router to 50% and the satellite to 100%.  That would probably be best.  I am not sure if that setting affects the backhaul or just the two device channels.

Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance now between the RBR and RBS? 

You can set 50% on the RBR. I'm currently using that setting on my RBR since I have two RBS, one kind of with in the 30 feet distance, however mine are wired RBS. Have the RBR at lower power output for me seems to work well. Something to try. This help in steering some wifi devices to the RBS from the RBR. 

Message 19 of 25
astainback
Apprentice

I don't know where you can change the router and not the satellite.  I thought that setting was for everything.

Is there a place where you can set the router and satellite seperately?

Message 20 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

NO, just on the RBR. 

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 21 of 25
astainback
Apprentice

I guess I assumed that was for the router and the satellite.  So you are saying this is just for the router?  If so, I am definately going to cut it down...  I just didn't want to shorten the throw of 5 Ghz from the satellite.

Message 22 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Just the RBR. 

Message 23 of 25
astainback
Apprentice

Update on my daughter's tablet.
She is having a hard time.
The connection keeps dying.
My wife and I are not having the issue.
She is as far away from the satellite as she can be.
When she brings me the tablet, she connects 5ghz.
When she goes back to her room... Her weak signal dies and it shows an authentication error.
It will connect 2.4, but I think it is fighting.
I turned the satellite to face it towards her room.
I am not sure if that thing is directional it not.
Tommorow, I am going to place it in the center of this floor.

Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7